If'n ya can't beat'em...join'em....

espomagazine members: a place to gab and keep in touch until the other site's issues are resolved.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Clyde Gott

If'n ya can't beat'em...join'em....

Post by Clyde Gott »

Wanted...mouthy dog!!!

But wait...how soon I forget that little thing called a "rule book"!!!

You all remember...that little book that that's so hard to understand and follow. That little book that must be interpreted first and then loosely applied.

...could someone please explain the following below...lest I fall into temptation and buy a mouthy dog...I'm so confused...PLEASE HELP! ;)

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RF2404.pdf

PROCEDURE 5. STANDARD FOR JUDGING 5-A FOREWORD

5-B Definitions—Desirable Qualities

Page 28...

Proper use of voice is proclaiming all finds and denoting all forward progress by giving tongue, yet keeping silent when not in contact with scent that can be progressed. True tongue is honest claiming that running mates can depend on.

5-C Definitions—Faulty Actions

Page 30 & 31...

Ghost trailing is pretending to have contact with a trail and making progress where no trail exists, by going through all the actions that indicate true trailing. Some hounds are able to do this in a very convincing manner and Judges, if suspicious, should make the hound prove its claim.

Babbling is excessive or unnecessary tonguing. The babbler often tongues the same trail over and over, or tongues from excitement when casting in attempting to regain the trail at losses.
Clyde Gott
Crowley's Ridge Beagles
http://www.thespoboard.com

Jamie

Post by Jamie »

What are you trying to say Clyde? I know you are mad at somebody just say it (lol)

Clyde Gott

Post by Clyde Gott »

Now Jamie...I'm just trying to stimulate some thought... ;)
Clyde Gott
Crowley's Ridge Beagles
http://www.thespoboard.com

Post by Guest »

Well it should work you have a way about you that stimulates people (lol)

DBASS

Post by DBASS »

CLYDE i am all ears. I am listening. I got TODDS MEDICINE bout ready to be tuned in. Hope you and yours are doing good. KEEP EM STRAIGHT.

DEWAYNE

Post by Guest »

It is a people problem you got :-)
So many trials need so many judges today.Far more trials today than in the past.All the judges needed do not know the difference between a big nose and a mouthy pos.Couple that with trying to get all the casts run on time and well you see the problem.They don't take the time to let em run long enough to see the faulty dog.

I was at a trial three years or so back.Big lemon bitch was getting it on or so it looked at the start of second series I was following.She had already faked her way through the first series riding honest dogs.She barked a lot here there and most everywhere including the check area.Looked good until a honest dog or two following her nose told on her mouthy cutting a**.Told on her a "lot".Kinda like yo your judeship are you looking - seeing what this pos is doing ? Even then you better know what you were seeing to tell the difference.

It takes a lot of experience watching dogs run to be able to tell the pretenders from the real workhorses.
Hunt6 David P.

burbba

Post by burbba »

What about this one....

Hunting this weekend and talking with one of my hunting partners... I have a male who sometimes appears to be "babbling" or "being mouthy" when in fact he shouldnt be. HOWEVER, 4 out of 5 times, if given enough time, he will walk up the track, and jump the rabbit. Do I like him yapping that far prior to jump, no, but should he in fact be faulted for it?

How long do you and/or judges give a dog to jump a rabbit? He may bark for 2-3 minutes while walking a track before another dog barks. Like i said 4 out of 5 atleast, he'll have a rabbit running shortly.

Is he mouthy, or just too big of a nose? I'm working on him to keep his mouth shut a little longer, but he gets excited, and I'm not super willing to hinder that. I'd rather him keep it shut a little longer, but as long as he produces a running rabbit, isnt he doing the right thing?

Post by Guest »

In my 30 years of beagling , in S P O around here, most people are breeding a different type of dogs now.Any old timer, like me, who don't see that is fooling himself. Every one has seen the old man at a trail that is there to just to watch . Why is that? How many people have quit trailing that you know?Have you seen people get in for a few years and quit?I am going to judge one more licensed trail and then I'm done.I am in the way of progress.A judge has to judge what is there.I have always said when judging got to where it is not any fun I would quit judging.I will just rabbit hunt with my dogs.I believe everyone should run a dog they like.No sour grapes here. I'm to blessed to be stressed .Good luck to all. :D

main event`s beagles

rules

Post by main event`s beagles »

:argue:
Last edited by main event`s beagles on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Lear

Post by John Lear »

Is it trails or trials. Just noticed this words three times in one sentence in the last post that meant trail once and trial twice. And this was from a guy that said he enjoyed college. And some of the post all over this site. Is there some meaning I'm not getting or is it hard to distinguish the two different words.

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

burbba wrote:What about this one....

Hunting this weekend and talking with one of my hunting partners... I have a male who sometimes appears to be "babbling" or "being mouthy" when in fact he shouldnt be. HOWEVER, 4 out of 5 times, if given enough time, he will walk up the track, and jump the rabbit. Do I like him yapping that far prior to jump, no, but should he in fact be faulted for it?

How long do you and/or judges give a dog to jump a rabbit? He may bark for 2-3 minutes while walking a track before another dog barks. Like i said 4 out of 5 atleast, he'll have a rabbit running shortly.

Is he mouthy, or just too big of a nose? I'm working on him to keep his mouth shut a little longer, but he gets excited, and I'm not super willing to hinder that. I'd rather him keep it shut a little longer, but as long as he produces a running rabbit, isnt he doing the right thing?
Burbba - I've got a male the exact same way. 80% of the time he'll get that rabbit up and running, but he's a little loose w/ his mouth. Occasionally I'll bump him real low, but only if I don't think he's close to it and I know its an older trail. Gotta be careful w/ this one.
Playboy Kennels - Got rabbit? ~ (703) 989-4079 ~ PlayboyKennels@gmail.com

Home of FC OTIS' BIG JOHN

Past home of FC DEATON'S BO & FC DEVIL'S HOLE HONEY BEE

randy329

Re: If'n ya can't beat'em...join'em....

Post by randy329 »

Clyde,

Amen I hate a mouthy dog and I hate to see one rewarded at a trial.

Top Faults in my book

Mouthy

Lack of hunt

hard to handle

Randy329

Nor' Easter

Re: If'n ya can't beat'em...join'em....

Post by Nor' Easter »

Some dogs you really need to see alot. As you said, if he/she can get it running from working the line then maybe this dog has that much better of a nose and/or he/she claims with tounge quicker. We have one we hunt with and have trialed, this dog HAS a stronger nose and I've seen FC's that couldn't smell the line when he can, so you can't let another dog tell the truth for you either. You need to see the dog produce rabbit/hare off of it. This dog we have breeds well to get NOSE and hunt from but lacks some foot. He is a keeper and proves it in the worst conditions. Someone may throw him out of a trial as can happen if you're not used to seeing nose power like that. If the dog doesn't get it going then it's "blow's holes" as you guys say in the check areas.

DIXIEDOG

Re:

Post by DIXIEDOG »

With a few of the lazy dogs I've seen in trials in the past you might as well call it a trail because that is where they stand waiting for all the other dogs to jump a rabbit. :biggrin:
John Lear wrote:Is it trails or trials. Just noticed this words three times in one sentence in the last post that meant trail once and trial twice. And this was from a guy that said he enjoyed college. And some of the post all over this site. Is there some meaning I'm not getting or is it hard to distinguish the two different words.

Kgraf

Re:

Post by Kgraf »

burbba wrote: I'm working on him to keep his mouth shut a little longer, but he gets excited, and I'm not super willing to hinder that.
Could you elaborate on how you work on that. I have one that cold trails. She will sometimes re run a piece of track that she already ran after a loss. She doesn't bark as hard when she does this.
Kyle