wanting to know more about SPO type of hounds.

espomagazine members: a place to gab and keep in touch until the other site's issues are resolved.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

FastFeetHounds

wanting to know more about SPO type of hounds.

Post by FastFeetHounds »

Yesterday I went with Jon Cornett and his boys, with Keith O'haver. I really enjoyed their dogs, and would like to know more about the SPO dogs. Jon's dogs really worked their butts off on a windy day. Was wondering whats the average SPO dog speed is, say between 1-10 ten being the fastest. The dogs we hunted had extreme hunt, was rabbit wise, and had plenty of foot when needed, they geared down when the wind was blowing hard.

Just wanting to know more about them. Thats all....
Born to chase, bred to catch. Fast Feet Kennels

In the words of Adam Seger.

"We want a rabbit hound to run to catch by good clean check work."

Anderson Upland Beagles

Post by Anderson Upland Beagles »

well

tell you I'm spo judge and when I judge I don't pick up a hound because hes or she is fast if a its on line and can run it right it stays down if its to slow and gets left behind guess IL have pick it up .I'm a hunter ...hare hunter have been 20 or more years I guess I'm one of them judges you can bring some foot to if you can run ;) and always all hounds get there time on the ground to show me there stuff ;) just one more thing I don't go for a hound on the path waiting for another one to jump a rabbit .hope this helps you ... akc spo is a good format .

windy hollow

Re: wanting to know more about SPO type of hounds.

Post by windy hollow »

I'm a Hunter. First and foremost I have hunting Hounds. SPO is what I run and I have SPO Beagles they are a fast pace with average line control. I have two that try to go faster than their nose permits and they are looking for a new home. :hammer:
SPO is probably as close to Actual Hunting as any format I have seen.
WINDY HOLLOW BEAGLES

Newt

Post by Newt »

FastFeetHounds wrote:Yesterday I went with Jon Cornett and his boys, with Keith O'haver. I really enjoyed their dogs, and would like to know more about the SPO dogs. Jon's dogs really worked their butts off on a windy day. Was wondering whats the average SPO dog speed is, say between 1-10 ten being the fastest. The dogs we hunted had extreme hunt, was rabbit wise, and had plenty of foot when needed, they geared down when the wind was blowing hard.

Just wanting to know more about them. Thats all....
SPO identifies the format in which they compete and has nothing to do with speed. UBGF and Deep South SPO put more emphasis on line accuracy. Mid West Federation emphasizes speed and run to catch style. It has probably been more than a decade since a beagle could sucessfully compete in both Mid West SPO and UBGF SPO trials.

windy hollow

Post by windy hollow »

I will guarantee you if you take a Gundog Brace style Hound to the SPO trials that we attend , they will be the first hound UP!
WINDY HOLLOW BEAGLES

score em

Post by score em »

where do you find upcoming events for spo

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

Better Beagling magazine will list upcoming trials. It's a good magazine. I know alot of guys get it.They have a web site. Just google better beagling.I dont know the dot com stuff. I think the site will give info. on how to order, but I'm not sure about upcoming trials.It also has a chat forum like this.Hope this helps.