Thompson Contender 45LC/410 question ?

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sgc

Thompson Contender 45LC/410 question ?

Post by sgc »

I think beaglers are the only ones that have this gun, (the TC 45LC/410 with the 10" barrel). I've asked this question on 2 different Thompson Contender specific sites and haven't gotten an answer. So, as an old beagler, I thought I'd try it here. Is it OK to shoot 410 slugs out of it and if so, do I keep the choke in? I wanted to ask if it's OK to shoot the critical defense shells they make now, too, (like Hornady Critical Defense shells), and, again, if I would keep the choke in?
Thanks,

TickTownBriarBuster

Re: Thompson Contender 45LC/410 question ?

Post by TickTownBriarBuster »

If I wanted to be 100 percent sure I would call Thompson Center directly, but if I were shooting anything other than shotshells through mine I would take the choke out before firing. With the choke out you can't hurt the barrel even if you shoot regular shotshells through it without the choke, from my understanding the choke only helps regular shotshells. Hope this helps, God Bless..
Grand Victory Kennels
http://www.grandvictorykennels.com/
Home of:
Shultz Creeks Hillbilly Gauge
FC Crystals Checkered Lilly
FC Huberts Blazing Blue Angel

Eva's Beagles

Post by Eva's Beagles »

I've been shooting one for awhile. I don't remember where I read it, but it said to remove choke for slugs as well as the 45. I have forgotten on occasion and fired a 45 through the choke. Nothing bad happened but still not recommended.
Eva's Beagles

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

my understanding is that the "choke" is not actually a choke ,but actually causes the wad to stop spinning which in turn causes a tighter pattern. if you shoot a wad down a rifled barrel it causes it to spin and throw shot out the sides causing a larger pattern. I would recommend not having it in for slugs.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

sgc

Post by sgc »

Removing the choke for slugs does make sense. I think the old smoothbore shotgun slug barrels were open choke.

COONRATHUNTER

Post by COONRATHUNTER »

I have one and also read that it is not a choke but pulls the shotgun wad off the shot. I also read that if you shoot slugs or 45 to remove the choke out. If you want a real choke tube for the 410 part there is someone on the TC Contender facebook site that makes them.

Crow

Post by Crow »

Look at the inside of your "choke" it should have straight grooves instead of spiraled rifling. The barrel has spiraled rifling that imparts spin on a 45 projectile for increased stability. Spin has the opposite effect on a shot shell. The "choke" is designed to stop the spin of the shot before it leaves the barrel. The wad will separate from the shot due to aerodynamic drag on the petals of the plastic wad. If this "choke" is taken out then the shot shell load will have significant rotation upon exiting the barrel and centrifugal force will cause the pattern to spread very rapidly. On the othe side of that token if left in when firing a 45 round it will stop the rotation of that projectile as well. Best case scenario is terrible accuracy and worst case scenario potentially damaging result to either gun or shooter, possibly both. So the direct answer is if the "choke" has straight grooves take it out for 45 and leave it in for 410. Hope this helps.

sgc

Post by sgc »

Thanks, all.