Combination guns - am I nuts?

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

pgmrdan

Combination guns - am I nuts?

Post by pgmrdan »

I want a good, all-around rabbit and squirrel gun. I've been thinking of a combination gun in .22LR/20ga.

I've never had one before but it seems like a practical thing to have. Are they a good idea? What are the short comings? What are the advantages?

When I was growing up a lot of the guys my age had .22LR/.410 combination guns.

Who uses a combination gun?

What caliber/gauge does your gun have?

Would you recommend one? Which manufacturer and model?

Thanks,
Dan

mike crabtree

Re: Combination guns - am I nuts?

Post by mike crabtree »

Most that I have seen, the trigger pull is a little hard to be real accurate with the rifle barrel.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

denny606

Post by denny606 »

not to mention the price has really went up on these guns the last couple of years,I do like the 22long rifle /20 gauge combo.and he is right about the trigger pull,and are you talking about an over under combo or a combo with interchangeable barrels Like the handi Rifle and the rossi combo in a sack because the are still relatively cheap.I prefer a shotgun and another rifle separately you can pick up an inexpensive autoloader 22 used for less than a hundred bucks and single shot shotgun for around the same price or less and have 2 guns which were not designed with compromise in mind,and it wont cost any more than one combo set.And no you are not nuts or they wouldn't sell so many of these new combos ,They work ,but that's about it In my opinion,Denny
Denny's House.... Home of HOF Front Porch Champion Fred the Beagle

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

i have had a couple different combo's i like the 22 mag with the 20 ga. the best i like about all of them they are handy as pocket on your shirt good guns n your not nutzz either or alot of us are too :nod: :nod: :nod: :eyes: jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Not light but really short. A sling makes them really handy. Great for a beginner or the old timer after he gets the kill'in bugs worked out of himself... :lol:

jt&z's dad

Post by jt&z's dad »

Savage .22/410 O/U. Use a barrel clamp on the .410 and add a sling. Love it.... I would like a .22 mag/12 ga. O/U also for coyote hunting at night since Michigan has a rimfire and shotgun only at night law for predator hunting. The only thing wrong with the .22/20 O/U is they have prong horn rear sites and a tall front sight. We usually bump some partridge while running hare and it is a little tough to pick up a flying bird with that style sites. The .22/.410 has a short rear site and a BB style front sight that is pretty descent for picking up birds and rabbits. The .22 is OK when it comes to shooting squirrels at moderate ranges. I say go for it you won't be disappointed.
"Beagling is like wrestling, leave your excuses with your mommy" TallPaul 2008

dave5050

Post by dave5050 »

i'm on the lookout for a savage model 24, 22. mag/20ga.for this upcoming season.i dont shoot alot of rabbits so i dont care if i miss a few!

TC

Post by TC »

I have a pre 70 Savage model 24C Series S Campmaster 22/20 I really like that little Gun!!!!!
Hard to Find now.....
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

I always wanted a 22 LR over a 20 ga for squirrel.
The prices have always been way too high.
I can buy a shotgun and a 22 rifle a whole lot cheaper than I can buy a combo gun.

denny606

Post by denny606 »

here is a link to a 20/22lr for sale on gun broker
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =106632377
and here is a22mag/20 combo
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =106521957

there are several model24s on there so look around ,hope this helps. I know several of you fellers are looking for 'em,so have at it ,Denny

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

I'd like to use one also. The hare sit sometimes giving you a clean shot with the rifle, if ya miss you got the shot shell to get a crack at it. You can get them in .17 cal. also. I want a .17 cal. x 12 guage. We use the cheap 12 guage shells $5 a box for hare, as we can go through alot of shells in a season. I use my Nylon 66 remington alot too. the combo is around $400-$500 that I looked at some time ago. I think it would be alot of fun. Around here there are lots of hare, so if you miss a few no problem, early in the season they pop out from everwhere when running, at the end of the season the smarter hare that made it that far through the season usually give you a much harder time to get a crack at them.

dave5050

Post by dave5050 »

if anybodys in ohio,Swappers Day in johnstown, Oh usually have a couple of them.i have several guns that i got good deals on i plan on taking to work on a trade.they usually have them marked up but u can deal with the right dealer, especially if hes interrested in something u have. its labor day weekend!
dave

schleppy

Post by schleppy »

I've been using a Remington Spartan/Baikal .410 over .22 for the last two years and I really like it. This gun is easy to switch from rifle to shotgun with a selector mounted on the top of the grip area similar to the safety on some guns. I can watch a rabbit coming and have the shotgun ready, but if the rabbit stops I can instantly switch over to .22 for a clean headshot. I hate biting into shot when eating game animals so I like to make the headshot whenever possible.
The drawback I see is that this gun only has one firing pin so it has to be recocked after the first shot. You dont have to break the barrel open you only have to pull on the cocking lever with your non trigger fingers on the trigger hand and then switch the barrel for the second shot. It can be done really quickly but a gun with two triggers would be a lot better.

If I were going to buy another gun the Baikal Sever model IZH-94 in 20 guage over .22 has two firing pins and two triggers. With this gun you only have to remember which trigger fires which barrel and you can instantly change your mind on which one to use. I think this gun would be the ultimate rabbit gun, I only wish it came in .410/.22

The problem I have with the savage guns is that the selector is on the hammer and its difficult to change from rifle to shotgun with the gun mounted.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =105769769

http://eaacorp.com/Manuals/IZH94_Sever.pdf

pgmrdan

Post by pgmrdan »

I passed on getting a nice double barrel shotgun and got a very nice ~50 year old Stevens 94C 16 gauge break-open single shot with 28" barrel. Call me a cheapskate. I just couldn't see spending all that money on a beautiful double gun that I'll scratch up the first day out in the field. The Stevens will be my rabbit gun. Now I'll be needing to buy a squirrel gun with some of that money I just saved. :D

So, I'm looking for a Savage 24. One of the gunshops knows where they can order a new 24F Tactical version of the gun. I know it has a synthetic stock (Du Pont Rynite?) and is chambered .22LR/20ga. He wants $550 for it.

I can't find a picture of this gun and I don't know of any other differences. Can anyone here tell me about the gun or point me to a picture of one? When a gun is described as a tactical gun that can mean so many things.

Should I just get a nice one on gunbroker.com instead? I've lined up a place with an FFL that I can have it shipped to.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Dan

denny606

Post by denny606 »

That old 94 Stevens is a very good and practical gun.I know of several still in use around here,Like all older break open shotguns you need to check to make sure it is not worn or sloppy around the hinge /pivot area and that it will shoot and eject shells,shoot it a little and see how it patterns and ,you'll be good to go,Denny