rimfires

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kybriarbuster

rimfires

Post by kybriarbuster »

how many of you use a rimfire to rabbit hunt? i wouldnt with others but when im alone i do. bought a new ruger charger this year and going to try it out. sam

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Re: rimfires

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

Never have but I but it would be a blast in the right area. A Ruger 10-22 would be a riot. I bet I could unload a 25 round clip on one rabbit and still miss...LOL. I think years past when there was a lot less settled ground it was a lot more popular. Back when kiliing game meant eating some meat for supper.
A country boy can survive as the song goes. :check:

briarshakersdaddy

Post by briarshakersdaddy »

Dont see why not Sam. Dad Hunted rabbitt's and Squirrl's with a sling shot back in the 30's and was expected to put game on the table. You should be able to kill one just dont let Joey Try you know how much trouble he has hitting one with a shot gun. Charles
send me pedigrees

mtneerbp

Post by mtneerbp »

I bought a Ruger Mark II hunter pistol and put a aim point sight on it,going to try it out this year I leave the shotgun at home most days and just let the others do the shoting but I think it will be easy to carry and can take shots in the right situations with the pistol we will see probably a lot of shooting but very little meat :D
BOB POST
MTNEER KENNELS
NORTH CENTRAL WV

BY HIS BLOOD I AM FORGIVEN

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

I use a Rem. Nylon 66, 14 shot semi. It's too much fun and really light, I have mine near worn out after 25 years of hunting and 1000's upon 1000's of shells. I'm a really good shot with it on running hare, my buddies all went out with me and we all took semi .22's. I think they might have got one hare, I had 4 or so. They won't do that again. I use the mushroom type shells, they stop 'em faster and you can hear it hit the hare too. If a few of us go, I stand on the outskirts of where the hounds are circling and take the stay hares that come out of the thickets. It's really fun when the hare are white and no snow !

grim

Post by grim »

briarshakersdaddy wrote:Dont see why not Sam. Dad Hunted rabbitt's and Squirrl's with a sling shot back in the 30's and was expected to put game on the table. You should be able to kill one just dont let Joey Try you know how much trouble he has hitting one with a shot gun. Charles

I WOULDT TALK ABOUT ME BEING A BAD SHOT DAD HAVE YOU EVER KILLED ANYTHING THE FIRST,SECOND,OR THIRD SHOT
YOU COULDNT HIT A BULL IN THE BUT AT THREE FEET LOL
JOEY AND DIANA SALYERS
SUB ZERO BLACK AND BLUE
SOUTH FORK BLUE LUCY
BRIARSWAMP'S RUNNIN TALLY
BRIARSWAMPS HEMI'S BLITZ
BRIARSWAMPS KABLOOEY
BRIARSWAMPS JACKPOT

PBJ

Post by PBJ »

Aren't you guys worried about possibly hitting a dog? A small caliber bullet can do funny things when they strike rocks, weeds, or any other object.
Drive it like you stode it!

kybriarbuster

Post by kybriarbuster »

used the charger in maine last month and shot a hare about 30 yrds with a mini-mag hollow point and it just fell over. also you must be even more careful pbj that is why i only use one when i hunt by myself. sam PS joey shot one saturday charlie, was sitting but it only took him 1 shot. shot 2 more times at 1 running and it had to stop and get its breath before it could go on :!: can u say vegetarian :?: :?: bye joey :angel:

grim

Post by grim »

:gunguy: :moon: :moon: :moon: YOUR FUNNY SAM
JOEY AND DIANA SALYERS
SUB ZERO BLACK AND BLUE
SOUTH FORK BLUE LUCY
BRIARSWAMP'S RUNNIN TALLY
BRIARSWAMPS HEMI'S BLITZ
BRIARSWAMPS KABLOOEY
BRIARSWAMPS JACKPOT

DoubleEagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Never used a 22 or any sort of rimfire when hunting with dogs. Just too picky about making my shot count I guess. But then again growing up I used an old beat up Stevens Crackshot with a broken extractor ( had to carry around a car antenna to knock the empty shell loose to reload ). Rabbits, squirrel, woodchuck, and coon... all go down pretty darn quick when ya put a hollowpoint in their ear.