What's the ultimate rabbit gun

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BMBeagles

Re: What's the ultimate rabbit gun

Post by BMBeagles »

I use a h&r single shot 20.ga 26in full choke . I beat brush with it ,kill rabbits with it & it rides in the bed of my truck all season ! And is still worth what i paid for it

ken pack

Post by ken pack »

1100 Remington Lt. : 20ga. 28" full Choke & # 6 shots Hi- Brass for Rabbits & Pheasants :censored:

Bowguy

Post by Bowguy »

28 ga break open type gun. The gauge is about perfect and crossing a brook, fence, etc is really easy to be safe

ken pack

Post by ken pack »

Sling shot ...

Bowguy

Post by Bowguy »

Guys I have no idea who I’m talking to as I’m new here. Not new to guns.
The post is more to help new guys decide as the original post seems to be answered w opinions so here’s mine.
For starters guys tend to way overgun themselves. Way overchoke themselves.
Shot size, and I’ll refer to cottontails cause I’m no hare expert, needs only be 7-1/2, maybe 6s. Anything bigger you lose pattern density anyway. Rabbits aren’t very large and don’t take much to stop em.
The .410 is a good gauge if it’s used by those understanding the caliber. It’s typically choked very tight and you either miss or rat hole game. Idk bout you but the object isn’t to blow a hole in dinner. Opening the choke some might help but given the low pellet count you’d lose range. Choke size-this can be a judgement call but again considering all we’ve already discussed surely a more open gauge in most guns would be better.
A full choke at close range is again gonna rathole em or miss. It may not be the best choice in most circumstances. Even imp mod or mod is something I personally would never shoot.
Imo imp would be perfect in many scenarios. Perhaps a stack barreled gun or side by side could be mod in the 2nd tube.
For loads I’ll be honest you just don’t need much. I load light target 28 ga 7-1/2 or 6s and you’d never see a handicap except at maybe real extreme range. The advantages are more forgiving patterns up close.
It’s all about the dogs anyway so what’s one more circle if it was too far?
Just thoughts for someone deciding to consider