choke tubes

Discuss guns and ammo in this forum. This will be a good place to keep all that info together for reference. We will move relevent threads into this forum as we find them, and you will have your gun info in one place.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

southerncomfort

choke tubes

Post by southerncomfort »

Okey guys we are gonna turkey hunt this year. The first time in about 10 years. I have an 870 supermag my son has a maverick 88 20 ga. what choke tubes do you recomend for each gun. Thanks for the advice.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13

beaglehandler

Re: choke tubes

Post by beaglehandler »

I just ordered all new choke tubes for all my guns from Carlson's. Reading the data I am estimating that I will be holding a pattern tight enough to kill a turkey at 60 yards. I will shoot #6 20ga from their new turkey choke. Soon as the weather gets a little better I will be testing it. Plan on starting at 40 yards and counting pellets on paper plate inside a three inch circle and going from there. I know I guy down by Spencer Indiana that turkey hunts with a 410 single shot full choke and gets a turkey every year.

2500 HD

Post by 2500 HD »

I own about a dozen Carlson choke tubes and they are great. I can't beleive what a difference on game. I shot pheasants with a 20 ga. 1100 flying cross ways at 45-50 yrds and folded them with mod. choke copper plated 4's. Their patterns retain a higher percentage of bb's than your standard factory flush chokes. My scores went up on trap and skeet too!!!

ringtail

Post by ringtail »

I HAVE MULTIPLE TURKEY CHOKES FOR AN 870 all depends on cover and what your shooting some chokes are not made for htl and some are not gonna shoot lead that good, i have a carlson.640 that loves 6's then i have a ventilator, kicks gobblin thunder, primos jelly head that loves 5's, id say in the 870 id try a kicks or ventilator in a .665 and shoot winchester 3'' hv number6's, ,,but again look at your cover, your shell then compare it to the choke,,,,sorry dont know much about the mossy's

here is a target of an 870, ventilator, with 23''barrel
40 yards winchester 3'' superx,1 7/8 number 5

OUR SPORT IS MADE UP OF NEW HUNTERS,,,SO PLEASE TAKE A CHILD HUNTING!

J-N-M'S HIGHBRIER BLU RUKUS