Disaster or Perfection

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitatfarm

Disaster or Perfection

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I don't know if I should be mad or elated. Today the power company cleared under the lines that cross our property. Gone are the dogwood thickets and berry canes. Dozens of trees that could have been used for firewood have been pulverized to shreds. They used some type of a machine that works like a roto tiller. But as I walk the wide, barren path of destruction, I see potential. I know from past experience, that before the next rabbit season this strip will be filled with berry canes, regenerating shrubs, and native weeds and flowers. I also see an opportunity to frost seed some clover next spring. It looks horrible right now, but next year might be perfect.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Re: Disaster or Perfection

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

They wanted to do this in my starting pen and also spray. I said no and they didn't give me a problem about it.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

msc4570

Post by msc4570 »

It will be perfection by next season. I wish the power company would come and brush out under the power lines on a friend's property that we hunt. They haven't hit it in about 12 years and it has grown too thin and tall for the rabbits.

span870

Post by span870 »

You think that's bad. 2 acres of mine is underground pipeline. They didn't do anything with it for 15 years. Beautiful thick cover. This year they came out and mowed it all. About killed me. Going to put it all in switchgrass though. Hated losing all the low undergrowth.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

An update on the mowing back in the fall. It is gorgeous!! I have a wide swath of berry canes, sumac, sassafras and aspen whips, timothy and brome grass, vetch, wildflowers and other vegetation. A patch of sumac has expanded at least 10 fold! The dogwood thickets are regenerating and so are the elderberry. So this fall, pick up that saw or mount your brush hog and cut/mow your covers!!

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red