spring burn down

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bartman357

spring burn down

Post by bartman357 »

I know it's several months off yet, but I want to try to get my ducks in a row early. I would like to hear opinions/experiences about burning off a running pen! Mine is about 8 acres. I planted big Bluestem and lezpadesa, but it has a lot of weeds and foxtail. I have many concerns/?
For starters I don't want to hurt my rabbit population, I need to burn before they start nesting! But I need to wait until some of the weeds start growing since bluestem comes out later.
I don't want to melt my pvc wire, so I'll mow it short around the fence!
I have a couple pallet piles and brush piles for cover that I don't want to burn!
I think I should burn it off in stages so the rabbits won't be sitting ducks for Birds of Prey!

lots of rambling here, but please join in and tell about your experience and concerns.
Bartman357
Www.bartsbunnies.com
Ava, Illinois

dhoundman

Re: spring burn down

Post by dhoundman »

you are right burn in stages and take time to disk or rake the places you mowed so that give you rabbit something to chew on while waiting for new shoot to come up . turning the soil just in the areas your mow
they need to salt for them to have more milk during the breeding season