Parasites number one killer of rabbits

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dhoundman

Parasites number one killer of rabbits

Post by dhoundman »

What is a parasite? A parasite is an is a bug that breathes through its skin! Such as fleas or ticks. The parasites get on the small baby bunnies and on the breeding those and weaken their immune system to the point that they can not survive.
What can you do to prevent this? Placing mineral blocks in the area where rabbits can lick them will help build their immune system and keep the fleas and ticks to a minimum.
Also placing a tire in the area where the rabbits are with sand in it and during the hot summer months putting 75 dust in the sand will give the rabbits a place to roll in and help get the parasites off of them
Has anyone else ever heard of this before?

Aubrey Holcombe

Re: Parasites number one killer of rabbits

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Yes, I have several starting pen, and I find the spot where the rabbit roll and I put Sevin Dust in these, spot they will roll in these spots it does help to keep the parasites off them.

U.G.A. Athens, Ga. has done studies on the mineral blocks and they recommend that you use the salt block with Sulfur You may have to ask your local feed and seed stores to get these for your just a bit more costly than the plain salt block they will be Yellow in color..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia