Can you plant sericea lespedeza without a seed drill?

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Colesbeagles

Can you plant sericea lespedeza without a seed drill?

Post by Colesbeagles »

I have a couple acre field I want to plant in sericea lespedeza but I have no
Seed drill. I do have a small tractor with a tiller and a cultivator is there anyway I can till the field and broadcast the seeds and have any luck?

bartman357

Re: Can you plant sericea lespedeza without a seed drill?

Post by bartman357 »

Yes, just work the ground, broadcast the seed, then run a drag over it.
Bartman357
Www.bartsbunnies.com
Ava, Illinois

Aubrey Holcombe

Re: Can you plant sericea lespedeza without a seed drill?

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

I plant it all the time with a hand Throwing type Seeder that you can buy at the feed and seed store. The type that I have has a strap that goes around your neck and it will hold about 10 or 12 pounds of seed, has a zipper on the top so you can zip it close and not spill your seeds,, they are very small seed and a easy to crank the seeder and walk at what ever speed you want to,, don't put them put to heavy, and I Do Not drag my seed.. They will not come up if you plant them too deep !

I have done some experimenting this year with a different type of seeding, but it's too early to know if its going to work? I also like to use lots of Lime on my farm an in my starting pens, I have this Big seeder that will hold 250 pounds of fert or lime. I mixed my Seed in with the Lime and have put a lots out together,, getting to Old for that Walking !! I don's see why it wouldn't come up as well, just got some rain on what I planted, so I will be able to see in a few days.

BE Sure To Inoculate the S.S.Seed, you can ask for the pack of Inoculerant at the seed store,, it will sure help you get a lost better stand of seed to use it, works !! cost is about $10.00 and keep it in the refrigerator until read to use, I wet my seed with a coke, that make them sticky and will keep the seed coated lots better..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia