Don't Be Afraid of Doing Something Wrong

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitatfarm

Don't Be Afraid of Doing Something Wrong

Post by rabbitatfarm »

This spring I checked a patch of large sumac. I decided to cut it, not knowing if it would regenerate, but also knowing it wasn't doing any good at that size. I just came in from checking and I have excellent regeneration. I also cut a patch of aspen and it too is sprouting nicely. My point is, Ma Nature is pretty forgiving, so take a chance.

In my experience, any cutting along a wood lot encourages an abundance of berry canes and other forbs--any plant that is not woody or a grass. That's a pretty large group. Nearly all forbs are used by rabbits and deer at some point. In my management I try to expand dogwood, aspen, sumac, blackberry and raspberry thickets, and eliminate maples, walnut, unless they are perfectly straight with few limbs, and box elder. I treat the stumps with Tordon RU so they don't sprout. Get out and do something good for rabbits and don't be afraid.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red