miscanthus grass

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

brfhounds

miscanthus grass

Post by brfhounds »

Anyone use miscanthus grass in run pens? Looks great for perennial cover.

BrownBear

Re: miscanthus grass

Post by BrownBear »

I do not have a pen but hunted an area last year that was an overgrown nursery with a patch of it. The rabbits were always in there. The stand was really dense and drove the dogs nuts. The rabbits would run circles within 5' of the dogs. I'd plant it with a little space, maybe 5-6' between clumps. I've read where it's not supposed to hold up to heavy snow fall. I live in the snow belt of Ohio and it held up really good last year. I grow Switch Grass and Miscanthus. Miscanthus holds up better than Switch Grass. Miscanthus gets a bad wrap for being non-native. 90% of what's planted in today's landscaping is non-native. Miscanthus Maiden is a good cultivar with stiff stems. 5-6' tall. Miscanthus Giganteus is the variety grown for biofuel. It gets 10' tall. I'd avoid that one unless you have an elephant to ride.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I'll stick with the native warm and cool season grasses. I have enough invasives already. Not saying this grass is, but ....

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

brfhounds

Post by brfhounds »

I dont believe its listed in any state as invasive.. but don't know that for sure I agree small patches would be better than large ones. Just trying to diversify run pen. I have native grasses . Just looking for something that stands up to Wisconsin winters little better.

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Miscanthus sin. gracillimus, Maiden Grass does not self seed in colder northern climates. I've been growing it here in Northern Ohio for over 20 years as an ornamental. I've never seen a single seedling in the field we grow them in. They are started by division in the spring. We grow them along with Switch grass varieties and the Maiden definitely has a heavier, stiffer stem. We had a ton of snow last winter! Hardiness may be issue. How far north are you in Wisconsin? I don't think it would hurt to try some. It will not spread and you could always take it out with Roundup.
Shane