Anybody know what this is

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

steve w

Anybody know what this is

Post by steve w »

[URL=http://s645.photobucket.com/user/s ... .jpg[/img][/url]
The DNR planted this at a game area I run and I'm wondering what it is, the first picture I think is sorghum but the second one I have not a clue.
They planted it together if you can't tell

rabbitatfarm

Re: Anybody know what this is

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Steve;

Looks like grain sorghum aka milo and buckwheat. They grow quite bit of milo in Kansas. Has a stiff stalk and stands well in winter. I've planted it before and plan to plant a 1/2 acre next year.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

steve w

Post by steve w »

Thanks Larry,so Milo and sorghum are the same? Do rabbits eat the buckwheat, how about the sorghum? I seen sorghum before in limited amounts but not like they planted it at this place.Anytime you want to come my way and run let me know, thanks for the info.

BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Nice pictures Steve. Milo is the another name for Grain Sorghum, Sorghum Bicolor. I believe rabbits do eat the grain. Especially in winter months. Planted a lot for dove.
Shane

LoneBeagle

Post by LoneBeagle »

Definitely Milo/sorghum/buckwheat. Tons of it here in Kansas. Our rabbits eat it and use the stalks for cover. With the fields tight to good cover like honeysuckle, old railroad beds, thick woods, and clipped pastures it is amazing. The Milo is a perfect food source for picking. Just my Kansas experience. :-)

steve w

Post by steve w »

Thanks for the reply Brownbear/LoneBeagle, glad were heading in the right direction. We have not done much in this state to help out rabbits and other small game for years. Looks like times are a changing.

joshy4444

Post by joshy4444 »

DNR plants the sorghum here in NC for the Black Bear and they love it but I have no luck finding rabbits around these fields. The next year they rotate where they plant it and let the fields grow up, then I can find rabbits.

Will05

Post by Will05 »

I found a field of that here in Maryland this year. I have never run in it before but it only took my dogs about 5 mins to get a rabbit out of it the first time they went in. Now everytime i go to that property i take them there and there has only been one time out of dozens that they didnt get rabbits up. They really seem to love hiding in that stuff.
Wsullivan777@gmail.com
Home of :
Sullivan's Sadie MaePatch
Sullivan's MollyPatch