Release Cutting, Edge Cover, and Brush Islands

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BrownBear

Release Cutting, Edge Cover, and Brush Islands

Post by BrownBear »

We had our woods logged about 20 years ago. At the time we didn't know any better and just let go. We did plant a few oaks. The Silver Maple took over and completely shaded out the understory. Very little winter cover. These are before and after pics.. In the last photo you can see a comparison of shaded understory vs brushy edge in the background were it can get light. I was able to save 1-2 saw logs off most of the trees. Dropped just shy of 100 trees and dug the stumps out in this 4 acre piece. Then I used the tops to build brush piles. Every tree I cut was Silver Maple. Found a nice assortment of trees to keep. American Beech, Ash, Cherry, Red Oak, Swamp White Oak, Sugar Maple, and even a couple Paw Paws. I intend to plant some brambles, grasses, and shrubs around the islands and let mother nature take care of the rest. The opening are going to be clover, brassicas and maybe wheat. I would still like to find something that will hold up to snow and provide quick cover this winter if anyone has any ideas? I intend to strip plant Lespedeza and Native Warm Season grass in the spring in the openings. Thanks for all the help from everyone here.
Attachments
Release cut and create as much edge cover as possible.
Release cut and create as much edge cover as possible.
Release Cut Shooting Range.JPG (197.38 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Silver Maple with edge cover in background
Silver Maple with edge cover in background
Silver Maple Edge Cover.JPG (224.42 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
Silver Maple shaded out all cover and browse.
Silver Maple shaded out all cover and browse.
Silver Maple Woodland.JPG (197.67 KiB) Viewed 2424 times

rabbitatfarm

Re: Release Cutting, Edge Cover, and Brush Islands

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I've done a couple of clear-cuts and edge feathering. You did one heck of a lot of work!!! In my experience, brambles will immediately follow any cutting. You might even get your cover this year. I mowed along an area where I planned to install a fence. I know a little about regeneration but I was blown away with what came up. If I ever figure out how to post pictures, I'd like to share some of my projects, both successful and failures.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

BrownBear

Re: Release Cutting, Edge Cover, and Brush Islands

Post by BrownBear »

Thanks Larry, Save your pics. to a folder on your PC. It helps to resize them first. I do this by right clicking on the pic. and select >open with. Then >Microsoft picture manager. When your picture opens there you can resize and save it. On the right column is preselected sizes. I used
"small document" here. It's a little cumbersome but when you get the hand of it you can resize in seconds.
Next At the bottom of each post is an "upload attachment" tab. Then a "browse" button. Click that and it takes you to your files. Select the pic and then final step says something like "upload attachment". Good luck.
Shane