Sweet Clover

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Lone Pine Beagles

Sweet Clover

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

Anyone try Sweet Clover for rabbit cover??

I tried planting some about 6 yrs ago but it never took.
Funny, because it grows along the roadsides!

Thought I'd try some again this spring.

2500 HD

Re: Sweet Clover

Post by 2500 HD »

Andy my pen got taken over by sweet clover this year. 5-6' tall or taller. Don't know how the rabbits like it but it really filled in for cover. Been having an aweful time keeping rabbits alive in there this year. Not sure what to do. And it's not from running it. I put in 10 -12 and find most of them dead in a day or two. Wheather?? Too young?? I' struggling. You know where I can get some tougher rabbits

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Never tried sweet clover but have had good luck with medium red. Ground is heavy clay and I think that makes a difference. I have a piece on the back of the property that should hold more rabbits than it does. I might try some sweet or yellow clover to see if I can entice a few back that way. Cover looks great with brambles, grass and forbs. For some reason, they don't use it as much. I'll keep posting my results.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

Sweet Clover is in the same family as Alfalfa.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Just came in from broadcasting some medium red clover. I just used a hand-held spreader and let her fly. It's supposed to rain this p.m. so hopefully it will get some good ground contact. The ground is pretty wet already.

Next plan is to prep one of my plots for a wheat, winter pea and crimson clover mix. It will be allowed to reach maturity next summer. Nice cover and green browse.

Nice to see you again, Andy. I'll make sure it get that parking brake fixed. LOL!

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red