Switchgrass

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mach 2 Kennels

Switchgrass

Post by Mach 2 Kennels »

I have been reading a lot about this stuff. They say it will grow in any type of ground and in some cases the ground doesnt even have to be worked or fertilized. It looks as if it will be ideal for rabbits and birds. Grows to about 18' (yeah feet) tall and chokes out everything else. In the fall it sheds some blades that can be used for nesting area for small game. Hawlks and owls cannot see thru it nor light on it. The draw back is that its kinda of expensive-close to $300 per 50lbs. But that 50 lbs will cover a big area, according to soil type and topography. Check it out, it will be awesome for starting pens and running grounds.

reddogrunner

Re: Switchgrass

Post by reddogrunner »

You want to be careful with this grass, it needs to be controled by mowing or fire so it does get to thick and useless for wildlife.

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I have switchgrass planted in my 5acre pen and it works great. It still stands in heavy snow an creates excellent cover against predators.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

It is good stuff, but I question if it gets 18' tall. Big blue stem only gets about 7 or 8 feet tall. I'm thinking of trying some too, along with little blue stem and Indian grass. You could also spray with a grass only herbicide. Just plug every other or third nozzle. But burning is way cooler!!!

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red