Need a source for Sericea

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Jazz Beagle

Need a source for Sericea

Post by Jazz Beagle »

I'm looking for a source to order Sericea Lespedeza seed from. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also was wondering if anyone has planted Bicolor Lespedeza? It looks like it would make good cover.
Thanks,
Kenny

bartman357

Re: Need a source for Sericea

Post by bartman357 »

Try Hancock farm and seed company!
Bartman357
Www.bartsbunnies.com
Ava, Illinois

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I've read serecia can become quite invasive. Bi-color is more shrub-like, as a they recommend mowing it occasionally. I'd go that route planted in strips.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Jazz Beagle

Post by Jazz Beagle »

Thanks for the input.
I'll give Hancock a try.
I planted some Milo last summer and it didn't do very well. I got it in late and then we had a dry spell that really hurt it. I'm going to leave it alone this year and let the weeds and whatever else that comes up take it over. The birds feed on it a lot so I'm hoping that the bird dropping will cause a lot of sprouts. I'm also hoping I can get a good stand of Sericea and try some of the Bicolor Lespedeza in a few areas as well. Mix in a few food plots scattered around and maybe, just maybe I can keep a few rabbits around.
Kenny

rabitruner

Post by rabitruner »

I got it from my local feed store got 50lbs for just over $5 a pound.

Andy Canterbury

bartman357

Post by bartman357 »

Try seedland.com out of Florida
Bartman357
Www.bartsbunnies.com
Ava, Illinois

WTV

Post by WTV »

Just found out about Ernst Conservation Supply Company. I have found Sercia Lespedeza to be hard to find at times, quite expensive and most places don't want to sell in less than 50 lb bags. However, Ernst has a good supply, decent price and will sell by the lb.
Good Luck!!!

Hood Swamp

Post by Hood Swamp »

WTV
I was good to see you again on Saturday. Looked for you after lunch but couldn't ever find you.
Take Care
Wayne Smith
Run em hard and make no excuses!

WTV

Post by WTV »

Hey Wayne
It was good to see you and Mr. Roger too. I went to Eddie Gooch's house for lunch but the barn was locked and then didn't see you all. I had to leave to get home in time to feed up and go to a wedding shower for some friends daughter and future son-in-law. I went to the Ernst Conservation website you told me about, and they have about the best buy I have found or seen on a number seeds and such which I have purchased in the past. Thanks for the information. I'll send you a PM with my contact information and maybe we can stay in touch and hook up some time. Good Runnin' Buddy!!!

Hood Swamp

Post by Hood Swamp »

WTV,
They ended up bringing lunch to the pen since everything was running behind.
Take Care!
Run em hard and make no excuses!

chris1971

Post by chris1971 »

Hancock has it on sale. 50# for $219. Hulled

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

CAUTON:
I would be very cautious , about planting that type of sericea (spelling?) Bicolar ? What ever you do,, go look at what this stuff will turn, out to be when it get a few years old !

I own a few starting and a running pen, here on my property,, and that stuff started to showing up inside my new pen a few years ago,, its Not good for anything,, and it about took over my pen, nothing will eat it and it gets to be a very big bush, very quickly now days I am spending lots of time pulling it up,, it still coming up ever spring and I have owned this property for 50 years,, has never been any planted here to my knowledge,, I suppose the birds have brought it into my New pen where it was a lost of very old trees, I clear it and made a starting pen right behind my house so it would be easy for me to get to and from as I am getting some age and can't walk very well,, 76 in June, but still love to start my pups..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I will be building a pen this summer (40 acres) its mainly big timber and sandy soil in Wisconsin. Once I clear some trees what would be a good ground cover to plant. Sericea was on the short list as I understand they have a northern variety that does well in cold climate. I understand rabbits eat it and it provides cover. A little confused after reading this thread?
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

It's just this type (Bio-Colorant) this is Not the correct spelling but I can't ever begin to spell all the differ type of this seed. The one that is best for rabbit pens is only about waist high when fully grown and it's mighty good cover and they can eat it, as its very thick on the ground type, and is likewise spell way over my head ! It is something like this Sereseria Lespedina, and it tough in cold weather and come back every year and also very expensive when buying but I recommend it in the hull, once you get it started its good at building up your soil and the rabbit love it when mowed ever year.

Good Luck.
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Forgive my ignorance, why would you want it in the hull? Why would you mow it?

With it being sand would you hit it with lime and perhaps 20/20/20 fertilizer to make sure its gets a good start. Also, what is optimum month to plant. If it's expensive seed I assume soil prep to maximize seed.

When you say expensive, how much for 50# bag, how big area will a bag cover?
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly