Intrested in field trials and need info

Questions and Discussions about registry, rules and beagle field trialing in AKC. ARHA/NKC, CKC-Can, CKC-USA, PKC and UKC, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

p&y finally

Intrested in field trials and need info

Post by p&y finally »

First off, im new to the forum and LOVING it! I got started rabbit hunting about 3 years ago and now I live and breath rabbit hunting and beagles. Im interested in trials and would like some info.
My questions are:
Whats the size thing have to do with it? Are there different "classes" for different size dogs as all of mine are under 13" (10"-12 1/2").

My dogs are all AKC reg. Does that make a diff. as to what trial i could run in?

Are there age classes for the dogs? The one im most interested in trialing is 9 months old now.

Do you run dogs solo or as a pack with other dogs?

I live in Georgia and i've read on other forums where they talk about certain dogs "will/wont trial in south Ga., west Ga. ETC.". Whats ment by "wont trial" in different areas? Is that just reffering to what the judges preffer in that area?

I've heard talk about they dont want a dog to hunt but rather just be able to run the rabbit after you jump it for them. Is that true?

Im sure theres a pile of questions im not even thinking of at the moment but this is a start.
Thanks,
Chris

island ridge hounds

Re: Intrested in field trials and need info

Post by island ridge hounds »

chris, to give advise on the issue at hand most would tell you just to go to a club having a trial close by and see what you think and how your dogs compete with others. every year in the fall who ever is having the first trial getting trial season started in your area has a large
number of hounds, new and old trialers. it never fails you always have neebies that never
show back up for what ever reason but usually its because there dogs didn't fair well or didn't
win. the old trialers know what to expect and usually have been running there hounds all year
versus a neebie that just got his hound out a couple of times just to make sure he still runs
a rabbit. everyone has more fun when there dogs are in the race, if winning is all thats on
your mind it could be tougher for you for a while. so i would have to say find a few guys that
trial in your area and run with them. most guys are more than willing to corrupt another beagler, heck it's someone new to sale your culls to :D you can then visit with them and know
what to expect and see how your hounds do with theres. you may need to dog up or find a
new format. if your serious about it and like it you'll find all the answers. beagling isn't a hobby
its an addiction. :shock:
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.

p&y finally

Post by p&y finally »

island ridge hounds wrote:chris, to give advise on the issue at hand most would tell you just to go to a club having a trial close by and see what you think and how your dogs compete with others. every year in the fall who ever is having the first trial getting trial season started in your area has a large
number of hounds, new and old trialers. it never fails you always have neebies that never
show back up for what ever reason but usually its because there dogs didn't fair well or didn't
win. the old trialers know what to expect and usually have been running there hounds all year
versus a neebie that just got his hound out a couple of times just to make sure he still runs
a rabbit. everyone has more fun when there dogs are in the race, if winning is all thats on
your mind it could be tougher for you for a while. so i would have to say find a few guys that
trial in your area and run with them. most guys are more than willing to corrupt another beagler, heck it's someone new to sale your culls to :D you can then visit with them and know
what to expect and see how your hounds do with theres. you may need to dog up or find a
new format. if your serious about it and like it you'll find all the answers. beagling isn't a hobby
its an addiction. :shock:
Thanks,
Im definately not looking at getting into it seriously. Not expecting to go out there and my dog be a World Champion or anything like that. Im not even expecting or hoping to win. Im just interested in the details on trialing and maybe go give it a try someday. I've been active in archery and bass tournaments over the years and believe me, I know the attitude of alot of newbies. Either they come out with the attitude their going to win it all and go home with their tails tucked or they come into it thinking "im not good enough" or "I dont want people laughing at me". Myself, I just want to spend time with my dogs any way i can and meeting others who are the same way. Heck, i've been laughed at plenty of times so im used to that :D

island ridge hounds

Post by island ridge hounds »

chris it sounds to me like your the kinda guy were all looking for as a club member, someone just out to have fun. don't get me wrong winning is fun to but you need to have fun doing it. enjoying the fellowship and others hounds is alot of fun. i can remembering going to my first state hunt, enjoying just looking at other folks dogs and to watch them run and listen to them was a very big plus. you can meet all kinds of people and i would have to say i haven't meet a bad soul in the bunch. seems to me beaglers are just great people, but you know there's always bad apples in every crowd i just haven't meet one yet. i believe that some guys need to become great losers before they can become great winners. of course this is just my opinion and you know how that goes. if you ever get around oklahoma i'll drop dogs with you
smoke a cigar talk about hounds and listen to some rabbit dogs. good luck in what ever format
and club you choose. its a hoot you'll enjoy :nod:
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.