PKC what if u could bring more then one dog

Questions and Discussions about registry, rules and beagle field trialing in AKC. ARHA/NKC, CKC-Can, CKC-USA, PKC and UKC, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

foxxy

Re: PKC what if u could bring more then one dog

Post by foxxy »

i got another question about pkc
is the beagles gonna have a super stakes like the coon hounds.
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

rockhilldog

Post by rockhilldog »

Yes, it is only a matter of time.

lazymkennels

Post by lazymkennels »

the bringing more than one dog would be nice, but lets keep in mind why everybody is having the fun they are having in the trials. The whole cast has a say in what happens and what they feel should happen not to mention everything is right
there in the casts view. Dont get me wrong you are still going to have those stay awake at night and try to figure out ways to bend the rules there way, but at the end 90% of the time the best dog at that hour has won. To me I think that is why people are enjoying themselves. We have had a few hunts now here at Indiana and Toby has been having them for the last few years and I have yet to hear anyone complain or feel that they have been completely screwed. You will have the typical complainers and you guys here in Indiana now who I am talking about but that is there nature they still come and observe what is going on and I look for them to start running dogs in the hunts. So the bottom line in my opinion is that Tony and Toby and PKC itself has put together a beagle format that people are enjoying and coming back to time and time again. It is growing and with that it will probably make some changes aint that how big pack and progressive all got started with arha. It has been a blast (PKC) to run in and to be a part of keep up the good work Tony

pross

Post by pross »

Well said lazymkennels.

JCM

Post by JCM »

Darryl wrote:I would like to see the PKC take on the akc Large pack format , expand to hare country. Using a payout system like the Coon hunts . $25.00 hunts get 25 entries in each class.. you could really bring in some $$ .
I think it would be a lot of fun to have the option for some PKC hunts to be large/big pack. When our club held a few ARHA big pack hunts, the turnout was good and everyone had a great time. If there was a way to keep the handlers involved in the judging like a regular PKC Hunt, but adjust the rules to fit large pack, that would be ideal.

One thing for sure, you can't call strikes when there are 40 dogs loose. :D So obviously, large pack rules would have to be a little different, but I think it would just be another option for clubs. And I agree Darryl, with a bunch of entries winners would get some $$$$!

Plus, if you had a regular hunt in the morning and a large pack in the afternoon, a guy could run all his dogs. This would mean more registrations for PKC and more entries for a club. Or if a guy only liked one type trial, he could just choose Hound and Hunter or Large Pack.

Darryl

Post by Darryl »

PKC Coonhounds have shown that it is about the houndsman but dont' be fooled PKC is a business and if there is more money to be made they have no issues with making changes. This is why they are the major player in Coonhounds , they offer $$ try hard to keep things legit and adapt to their customer.
Home of
FTCH Branko's Cornflower (sold)
FTCH Branko's Jimmy D
FTCH Branko's Bronson (rip)
FTCH Martin's LP 2Spot
IFC Branko's Dubonnet

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

I actually made a post a few weeks ago about PKC and the clubs not being able to make it. I really like what PKC does. If you change to line only, you are killing the complete hound. If I see a dog that has done well in PKC I think of a complete rabbit dog, not a fly by non-hunting hound that is seen so often in some other formats. Don't go away from what has made the organization successful. I like the idea of a "triple hunt" with a mandatory 3rd split. That would help the club's cash and would not be any more expensive to a hunter than 3 dogs in one hunt. The ideal way for PKC clubs to make money would be to get more people involved. Even if they don't have competitive dogs, get your buddy to come out and handle one for you.

Promote PKC for what it is, don't try to be ARHA or AKC.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

mt.man77

Post by mt.man77 »

I like PKC the way it is. Thats what makes it different or unique from other formats. It think it does promote the complete dog. I would like to see strict enforcement towards the complainers, dishonesty and the trouble makers that will eventually try to make their way to the format. Ive really enjoyed running PKC and plan on doing less of the other formats and more PKC. JMO

toldyouso

Post by toldyouso »

This is why this post was posted to get interested peeked about PKC. No one is trying to create arha or large pack Akc we just want pkc to grow and grow imagine 7oo dogs at the PKC world hunt. The post is doing exactly what it was tended to get input this way Tony and Toby will know where they need to head to grow the PKC hunts. And believe me if PKC can see that more money can be made they will be interested also. Thanks for everyones opinions keep them coming. SOUTHEASTERN OHIO BEAGLE CLUB is holding its First PKC hunt saturday sept 10 closing is at 700 entry fee 25 with 100 dollars added money the 100 dollars added money will be split amoung the dogs that make the finals. See u all there.

Pyzon24

Post by Pyzon24 »

A line only format, would b way to much extra mouth for me.
Mike Conti

toldyouso

Post by toldyouso »

Not if you still penalized a dog for barking out of place. walk down and find out whos opening and not producing. i do that at home as well as you probley do would not be that hard to do

TOPGUN

Post by TOPGUN »

Most beaglers have one really really good dog thats just better that the rest. Bring that one and see how it measures up against everybody elses. Its great to run 4-5 dogs in a hunt, but those hunts take all day. The average time it takes to run a normal pkc hunt is 2 hours. Nearly always we split, so its one round and the cast winners split the money. Like Tony said, you want to run another, enter it in the next hunt, the one that starts imediately after the first is done.

ARRON---Alot has changed in the pkc since you guys had the hunts back when pkc first started in beagles. I don`t blame you for being a little negative about it, I remember all too well what it was like back then. Its different now...way different. The charter is $50. The pkc makes about 12% of the money. So on a $25 entry they would get $3. About the same as AKC, right. I haven`t seen a registration yet that would register a dog for free. Cost $15 in the pkc. No other format is cheaper. They run an office and pay employees and the only money coming in is those fees. They have to make something. It cost $25 per year to be a pkc member and they give you a membership to the rabbit hunter, which is $25 per yr alone. So thats fair, right. The pkc is taking off and will grow. Its good format that is as fair and honest. Its slow start in my opinion is due to their old set of rules which are no longer in effect. When rabbit hunters are making the right changes, it gets better and fast. They have made some great changes indeed.

Beagle clubs won`t get rich off this format. If they need to make more money they must charge their members fees for belonging to their club. Our club stays in the green. Not by much. A big treasury in a beagle club is not a good idea anyway. Just another thing for people to argue about and fight over. Our hunts are run out of my garage. We have no out of pocket expenses. Other than the $50 per yr charter fee. I used to pay $225 to the arha, that was including their insurance which was a huge scam. And that is JMO :D
Kevin Hall
Vandalia IL
I`m only on my computer about once a month!
If needed I am most likely in a local Briar Patch.
My Tracking collar # is(618)292-8794. Thanks

toldyouso

Post by toldyouso »

Kevin i agree with everything except running your hunts out of your garage u do that because u do not draw many dogs and u do not pay a fee for a club house. This should not be and in order to draw more people u have to find a way to draw more dogs. more dogs more money period. you do not need more people just more dogs and if PKC has changed the rules to make them better whats the difference if the ADD a format to draw more dogs thats all. AKC has many formats arha has three formats ukc has 1 format and have not grown as big as they should be because u can only run one dog. Pkc yes is growing but do you not want it to grow faster or do you want to continue to run out of your garage. Thats like owning a business and saying will i do not want anymore customires because then i will have to extend my hours. Who cares if you r there all day at a hunt that usally means your winning only the losers go home early. Just my opinion not trying to make anyone mad cause alot of times for some reason i can come off like a asshole i am just very passionate about hounds and i am 100 percent in if i feel this is a good thing and i do think PKC has laid some serios ground work for something HUGE we should not settle for nothing less. Thanks for reading my post if u or anyone else would like to call me about this please do 6146336298. Just running dogs so usally have plenty of time to talk dogs being i live dogs have a great day.

TOPGUN

Post by TOPGUN »

So Frank, your saying that your club needs to make more money for the rent on the clubhouse, I can see your point there. A beagle club is supposed to be a nonprofit organization, but they do have to stay in the green. I don`t think they should be ran like a business though. I know from past experiences that it causes trouble eventually. Our club did make more money when we ran little pack, but I would rather not have trials than make them another dollar. When we made more money we passed it right on to our landowners that we run dogs on. I bought them steak dinners and such. Now I have to do that out of my own pocket.
But you guys are doing a added purse of $500 at your state hunt, right? So money must not be too bad.
You do make a good point tho being able to bring more dogs. I would run 2. But I think it would totally change the way the format runs. In general I just don`t think that beaglers have that much trust in each other when it comes to scoring when they don`t see it. Thats what makes it run so good on my opinion. You see the score. The lines are clear, cut and dry. You have to strike your dog, but if you stay in front and pound the rabbit the whole hour its pretty apparent who is gonna win.
This all line format- how would the casts be scored? who would be keeping track of the lines. If You run 4 dogs you will only be with one, right. So if 4 guys show up with 4 dogs each then you could have 1 guy with all 4 dogs in each cast. Probably wouldn`t happen, but ts a possibiliy.
Numbers are down at littlepack hunts as well. I was looking at the rabbit hunter and there was a bunch of hunts this spring with only 10 dogs in the open class. You guys are in an area with lots of beaglers but we aren`t, and in most clubs there aren`t many beaglers.
Kevin Hall
Vandalia IL
I`m only on my computer about once a month!
If needed I am most likely in a local Briar Patch.
My Tracking collar # is(618)292-8794. Thanks

Steve Preston

Post by Steve Preston »

Frank don't run the State Hunt.
I don't know shizz about dogs.