Keeping Judges for the Entire Hunt

Questions and Discussions about registry, rules and beagle field trialing in AKC. ARHA/NKC, CKC-Can, CKC-USA, PKC and UKC, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitatfarm

Keeping Judges for the Entire Hunt

Post by rabbitatfarm »

We seem to lose judges as the day wears on. I understand some people have to leave and judges get tired, but too often it is a scramble to find a judge for the finals. I'm thinking about maybe offering an incentive, like a pre-paid credit card. Each time you judge, your name goes in a hat. Others have suggested not to pay the judges until the hunt is over. I don't like that idea. No one wants to be forced to stay all day. What do other clubs do to ensure they have enough judges to finish the hunt?

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

J.C. Blair

Re: Keeping Judges for the Entire Hunt

Post by J.C. Blair »

Frank Miller gave away a dog trailer one year at the little world. You had to judge every round to be in the drawing, if memory serves me right. Lots of judges every round, ran it off quickly and still had daylight on sunday.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

That's a bit steep for a local club. Not a bad idea though. Adam Hughes offered $200.00 extra to anyone who judged the first two rounds. The biggest thing is, we need more, younger judges.

Larry

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

That should be $20.00 not 200!! Fat fingers!

Larry

andrew_kirby

Post by andrew_kirby »

My money is on this is the beginning of the end unless a major format overhaul takes place making it easier for more folks to judge. Most clubs have less than a handful of active judges, most haven't handled the own dogs at a hunt in a long time. It's getting hard to scrounge enough to pull off a club hunt let alone a big hunt. I don't know much about you but I've got better things to do than chasing dogs that aren't mine around all day. It used to be enjoyable watching good dogs run then it became an obligation. What percent of Little Pack participants are active judges?

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

We have had three club hunts this year and averaged just over 50 dogs per hunt. The last hunt, we had 15 casts, including the semis and finals. We used 5 or 6 judges, so that would be about 10% who judge. It's probably a little higher because most guys have multiple dogs. A lot of times, a judge has a dog in a cast so he can't judge. Others want to handle their own dogs. Can't blame them. Mostly, our older judges are not being replaced with young judges.
Larry