Where do I start?

Questions and Discussions about registry, rules and beagle field trialing in AKC. ARHA/NKC, CKC-Can, CKC-USA, PKC and UKC, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

b neate

Where do I start?

Post by b neate »

I don't trial beagles, but would love to. I have judged and competed in night hunts. That said I don't know what way to register or how many to register in for my yr old pup and what style of hunt would I enter, spo, lpo, pkc, ukc, ahra,??? I like to see them run to catch, no boo hooing and milling around , either you can or you can't. I went to a hunt near Kenton, Oh. and it had hunting judges. The guys went along and called their dogs, I am familiar with this. Whats it called? What hunt do the judges cull out dogs from horse back ? Is one registry for a certain style hunting. If it matters I have always hunted Branko stock. My pup is AKC registered.

B Neate

Big Dog

starting

Post by Big Dog »

If you run a run to catch type hound then you should run AKC Midwest Gundog Association or ARHA LP or UKC Hunting Beagle format. Of course you will have to register your hound in each registry. There are more ARHA LP clubs than UKC or AKC clubs that run that style of hound, but try them all.

Big Dog
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

kjohns

Post by kjohns »

B Neat,
Where in Ohio are you from? There is an ARHA little pack trial saturday in Middlefield.

b neate

Post by b neate »

I live in Van Wert, Oh. My dog has never been run with another dog and I can't find local dogs , would it be a bad idea to run in a trial?

Big Dog

running in a trial

Post by Big Dog »

How old is your dog? As long as the dog is deer broke and somewhat mature(not a young pup) I would say go ahead. It is normally best to make sure that they will run with strange dogs first. Some dogs will do this automatically others need a little work. l would give her a try and see how she does if you think she is ready(physically). You should try find someone in your area to run with periodically and a hunt is a perfect place to do this.

Big Dog
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

b neate

Post by b neate »

My dog is 1 yr on 4-6-03 , he seems good around my pup trainer but the pup trainer is real slow and never gets in his way. Jack the pup caught his first rabbit at 7-8 months of age in the wild and was never put in training pen. Thats one nice trait branko dogs seem to have, quit starters. I don't think he has enough time in field to compete with mature dogs, but it would be easy way for me to get him acustom to things.

Brent Neate