WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE SCORED?

Questions and Discussions about registry, rules and beagle field trialing in AKC. ARHA/NKC, CKC-Can, CKC-USA, PKC and UKC, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

WrongsideRandy

Post by WrongsideRandy »

Chain Gang wrote:Wrongside Randy, what if another baby rabbit left the same spot going the opposite direction toward the creek? Just a thought.
I figured another one did come out and since I didnt see it I assume it may have went another direction. If they would have lined it out I would still have given the dog on the clock its strike and started scoring checks.

PP rules say.......After a hound has opened (3 or more barks) and the judge strikes that hound, the judge shall give that hound 4 minutes to produce the rabbit. If no rabbit has been produced at the end of the 4 minutes, the judge shall announce time has expired and shall ask the handlers to move their hounds to another area. He/She may or may not request the handlers to leash their hounds. In this case the hound that was struck receives a minus 10 points.

Mr reasoning is the dog did produce a rabbit, it may or may not have been THE rabbit, but it was a rabbit. If I hadnt seen a rabbit I would have minused the struck dog and called dead track, but I cant minus a dog for producing a rabbit...even if it cant run it. I had other dogs pop off barking, I had no doubt they smelled that small rabbit. It is a pure judgement call in my opinion.

carn

subject

Post by carn »

silverzuk the rabbit has already been produced you must +10 for a good strike there is nothin in the rules that say the hounds must run the line only produce a rabbit if your a judge i can see you having problems read the rules and remember the hounds were not placed on the rabbit.

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

The handlers produced the rabbit, not the dogs.
The dogs struck the line and couldn't do anything with it.
Thanks for the warning about judging, that is the reason it is good to post these situations and discuss them because many are judgement calls.
It will make us all better judges and handlers by going over them.

Here is what the LP rules state on strike.

C. Strike
1. Definition: A strike is 3 or more barks from 1 hound after the
hounds have been released in the field.
a. If a hound catches a rabbit prior to giving mouth, this hound
shall receive strike and jump points.
2. Strike points must be awarded if the rabbit is jumped by a hound.
Example: Hound A jumps a rabbit from his setup. Even though
Hound A did not bark on the track before he jumped the rabbit, he
is still awarded the strike points. In this situation the hound shall
receive 10 strike points and 30 jump points even though he did not
open until after the rabbit was jumped.
3. A hound that opens on the track and is struck by the judge does not
have to jump the rabbit to receive his/her 10 strike points, provided
another hound jumps or produces the rabbit within the allotted time
of 3 minutes. Example: Hound A barks 3 or more times on a track.
Hound B harks in and barks and, in the judgment of the judge,
produces the rabbit. Hound A shall receive strike points.
4. Strike points can only be given once on each rabbit.
5. The hound that opened and has been struck by the judge shall
receive 10 minus points if no hound in the cast jumps, or produces
a rabbit within 3 minutes.
6. No strike or jump points shall be awarded if a rabbit is jumped by a
judge, handler, or spectator and the hounds are called in and placed
on the track.
7. After a hound has opened (3 or more barks) and the judge strikes
the hound, the judge shall give the hound a maximum of 3 minutes
to produce the rabbit before he/she calls the track dead and asks the
handlers to move their hounds to another area. In this case the
hound that was struck receives a minus 10 points.
8. A hound that opens on a track and is struck by the judge shall be
given minus 10 points if that hound quits the track within 3
minutes. Example: A hound that is "ghost tracking", cold scenting,
or barking on "trash", and then leaves the track is minused 10
points.
9. The judge shall give the hound that is struck a full 3 minutes on
that track no matter what the other hounds in the cast do.
10. The judge shall award 10 points for a successful strike.
11. In the situation where the judge cannot determine which
hound barked on the strike, he/she may ask the handlers which
hound barked. If the majority of handlers agree on which hound
opened first the judge shall award strike points. These may be
minus or plus points depending on whether a rabbit is jumped or
produced within the allotted 3 minutes.
Last edited by SilverZuk on Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

Based on the original post where the dogs struck the middle of a line from a rabbit jumped by the handlers and couldn't run it.

In my opinion the dog that barked 3 times is on the clock.
If that dog, or others in the pack showed me the line it would be a positive strike. The couldn't put it together in 3 minutes, minus the dog that barked 3 times and move to another area.

Imagine the exact same scenario where no one saw the rabbit.
Dog A barks 3 times, pulls B and C with it. They never line it out.
It would be a definite minus.

Because you saw a rabbit that the handlers jumped you are going to award points to a dog that mouths on a line that none of the pack can run?

My opinion may be different if the dogs ran the line in the right direction, but it was posted they worked the line in the wrong direction. This shows me that the dog mouthed on a line that couldn't be run.

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

5. The hound that opened and has been struck by the judge shall
receive 10 minus points if no hound in the cast jumps, or produces
a rabbit within 3 minutes.

7. After a hound has opened (3 or more barks) and the judge strikes
the hound, the judge shall give the hound a maximum of 3 minutes
to produce the rabbit before he/she calls the track dead and asks the
handlers to move their hounds to another area. In this case the
hound that was struck receives a minus 10 points.

Looks like this is what happened. The handlers jumped a rabbit, the hounds never produced a rabbit (or line that they were able to run), therefore minus 10 points

Just don't see how you can award points to a dog when they cannot run the line.
Last edited by SilverZuk on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PREACHERS KENNEL

dtyokl

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

but where in the rules did it say it had to line it out ???if u know for a fact the dog is barking on rabbit because it was seen even tho and i am not happy about them goin the wrong way but it was stated that the scenting was bad ,,,.;i gotas give positive points .. let me pose a few more ???just how long is a line??if its good scent or bad scenting is it the same???now haveing said all that i do want a line and if its a 5 dog cast i like to have at least 3 dogs barking on it preferably...and would like them to go at least 30 ft or so with it just makes me feel better... but i have seen judges say they didnt give me a line and heck they went 50 yards on a bad scenting pecking yes but itwas 3 or more dogs doin it . in my opinion u gotta give scenting a big part of judgeing.sometimes common sense plays a big part .. a detective gathers info saying what do we know/...WE KNOW HE HAD A RABBIT ,, not ghost barking or just abbling he had a rabbit and we knew it .!
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

S.R.Patch

Re: dtyokl

Post by S.R.Patch »

PREACHERS KENNEL wrote:but where in the rules did it say it had to line it out ???if u know for a fact the dog is barking on rabbit because it was seen even tho and i am not happy about them goin the wrong way but it was stated that the scenting was bad ,,,.;i gotas give positive points .. let me pose a few more ???just how long is a line??if its good scent or bad scenting is it the same???now haveing said all that i do want a line and if its a 5 dog cast i like to have at least 3 dogs barking on it preferably...and would like them to go at least 30 ft or so with it just makes me feel better... but i have seen judges say they didnt give me a line and heck they went 50 yards on a bad scenting pecking yes but itwas 3 or more dogs doin it . in my opinion u gotta give scenting a big part of judgeing.sometimes common sense plays a big part .. a detective gathers info saying what do we know/...WE KNOW HE HAD A RABBIT ,, not ghost barking or just abbling he had a rabbit and we knew it .!
When a detective gathers info, he must use all of it, not just that which suits him, all or nothing!
We are looking for the best all-round rabbit hound, or are we?
To me, if you reward hounds on bits and pieces your not looking at the total hound. If you use your info on a rabbit jumped by the gallery, you must take into consideration all results seen from the marked line ie.. claiming the line, AND advancement of the line. To reward claiming the line w/out demerit for failure to advance the line is one thing, but because we have a marked line, to ignore the fault of going the wrong direction(backtracking), this is an abomination to a rabbit hunter. After all, isn't this what we're after, the best "RABBITDAWG", the one we would like to take rabbit hunting?
This is one of those times I'd loved to hear, "the little CHoo-Choo train hound turned it from behind on him", that their always spouting about...
This hound has proved himself a fool, but the others in the cast lack ability, confidence & independance to turn it around, so they are no more than me-tooing(following along), waiting for someone to get it right...
If a hound is getting scent to backtrack, does it not stand to reason he would get somewhat better scent going forward on the line?
Sorry, but I could not reward a hound for claiming a line and then, run it backwards...unless I could minus the hound for his faulty actions at the find and negate any credit given. Backtracking is a major fault and is catching to other hounds, especially the young...
If your going to say, "WE know he had a rabbit", then you also have to say, "WE know he's running it backwards" and judge accordingly...everything must be taken into account as to how it contributes to a positive or negative effect on the hunt.
Most times in a situation like this, hounds are lifted and move down the line and judged from the first check...but, we're wanting to give strike points to credit the hound's find, but not discredit him for backtracking(yes, if your not going forwards, your going backwards), so, the back track was shown by the hound but no forward progress was made on the line and the time elapsed. No credit/no score, turn the puppies around and judge from the first check. This is much more gracious than would be the case if actually hunting, for the backtracker would have gotten a boot in the buttt... :mad:

WrongsideRandy

Post by WrongsideRandy »

After reading Danny's original post I agree with you guys who say no points should be given.

In my example I see a distinct difference now after going back and reading both posts again. The cast I was in no handlers were near where the rabbit came from and I ALREADY had a dog struck in.

Danny's cast had no dog on clock and handlers jumped rabbit.

Sorry if I messed this up by typing before I clearly read his post.

Take care,
Randy

Pine Mt Beagles

CRAZY

Post by Pine Mt Beagles »

HEY GUYS
IF THE HANDLERS JUMPED THE RABBIT???THE STRIKE IS NOT AN OPTION PLUS OR MINUS..AND SINCE THE LINE HAS NOT BEEN ESTABLISHED (BY THE HOUNDS)I THINK BACK TRACKING WOULD BE REACHING A LITTLE.HANDLE THE HOUNDS PUT THEM ON THE TRACK IN THE" RIGHT DIRECTION"GO FROM THE FIRST BREAK DOWN...JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.
KEEP'EM RUNNING
PINE MT BEAGLES

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered

hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

handler's jumped the rabbit.......... rufus is right no strike points bottom line....... :)

hillbilly
As you have the opportunity, do good to all men, especially those of the household of faith.

flyboyc141

bs

Post by flyboyc141 »

you are right the handlers jumped the rabbit but he did not say they put the dogs on the rabbit the dog came along a hit the line in the middle and open more than three times it must be struck in now how can you minus it when you saw the rabbit by the rules he did not backtrack because they had not ran the line.

Tommy Oliver

Post by Tommy Oliver »

A smart judge would have the dogs handled, then put down on the hot track. Why waste a hot rabbit, you may not get another one. It was jumped by the handlers. This is the only fair option
you have. Both to the hounds, and owners. The common sense factor plays volumes in this event.

Tommy

dawgydawg67

Post by dawgydawg67 »

Rabbit was produced by the handlers. Dogs were allowed to work the line, they were NOT put on the rabbit. Dog barks 3 times, You can NOT minus the hound.......a rabbit was produced. No strike points ONLY if you place the hounds on the track.
Unless your the lead dog the view never changes