PP vs. LP vs. UKC PP

Questions and Discussions about registry, rules and beagle field trialing in AKC. ARHA/NKC, CKC-Can, CKC-USA, PKC and UKC, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jump_dogg

PP vs. LP vs. UKC PP

Post by jump_dogg »

Not trying to start any @#@$%, but do the 2 NKC and UKC PP type hounds have the same speed as say LP or UKC HB formats? I have heard that they are cleaner running hounds (non swingers).[/i]

Jeremy Mapes

Post by Jeremy Mapes »

I've never been to any type of pp hunt, but have seen some dogs that are successful in pp run. Most don't have the foot. That being said I've seen a few that do. pp format is designed for a tight line dog, no matter how fast they run.
Dry Creek Kennel-Bred to get it done where it counts the most "under the gun".
RIP FC Buckeye's Big John
PCH HBCH Dry Creek Stroke Of Genius
DCK Bounty Hunter
DCK Queen Of The Cage (Rousey)

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I think this is true in UKC PP. If you read the arha site they say PP is for medium speed. Not so long ago there seemed to be a big push for slowing them down in arha pp.
jmo, Hunter

smoker

ukc pp

Post by smoker »

The ukc pp trials ive been to is just like running in a lp trial

FST TRAC

Post by FST TRAC »

i ran at a progressive pack arha trial not long ago and to me its the same speed as little pack just a little cleaner no swinging or wide hunting more of hunting the check from the inside out. but as far as footspeed i really couldn't tell a real difference but that is just my opinion
your friend
FST TRAC
FST TRAC BEAGLES
Lavonia Georgia
http://www.freewebs.com/fsttrackennels/

swamp boy

Post by swamp boy »

FST TRAC is right same speed just a cleaner dog in the check. :cool:
Sit back and let'um pound the ground!!

smoker

ukc pp

Post by smoker »

I couldnt tell the difference from one to the other.

BrewerMo

Post by BrewerMo »

I don't know about UKC Pro Pack, but in ARHA I would say it varries on the area your in. In some areas there is a BIG differnce in the 2 but in others they are some of the same dogs.

tdog

Post by tdog »

From the hunts I have been to the arha pp is a little tighter control and picking up of swinging hounds speed is very close. UKC pp and little pack seem to be in the same league so far just scoring who gets the check no matter how they get it or caused it. I feel each of these formats are rewarding hounds for check recovery and very little value being put on the jump ability. I perfer the UKC HH style it seems to be a better fit for a hunting style hound.

Willow Creek Kennels

Post by Willow Creek Kennels »

Brewer is right about what area of the country you are in.
ARHA PP med. to upper med. speed , tight check work , clean line running , without over running the line.
With that being said i have seen ARHA LP dogs that can run like that at a faster pace and they do good in PP.
I have no problem with speed as long as the dog can handle the line , myself i like a dog that can get it done with some speed.
But in ARHA PP they must stay in pack mode.
So if you have a dog running 25 ft in front of the rest or you have one
25ft behind the pack they are not in pack mode. They should be minused and eventually picked up if they continue. But this isnt always done.
Personally i dont think true ARHA PP dogs can run with hard hitting LP dogs.
SHANNON HOWARD
WILLOW CREEK KENNEL
LAWRENCEBURG KY

dogrunnerone

Post by dogrunnerone »

Shannon,

Is the dog in the picture below your name a true PP hound? If so I bet he could run with hard hitting LP dogs! What do you think?

In my experience a good dog that runs "the" rabbit can and will compete in all formats. Fear The Big Digger proved that to me. He was a LP champion, placing high in the world hunt and HOY race, he was the first ever UKC PP Grand Champion, he finished to a UKC HB Champion wih little effort and he had his first and 65 points toward ARHA PP champion before he died at 6 years old. He wasn't a rocket as far as speed was concerned but he had decent foot, but what he could and would do is run "the" rabbit like he was tied to it. That to me is what I am looking for in a hound, not one that can just run one particular format and get picked up in all the others. This kind of dog is few and far between but they are out there!

Man I miss that dog,
Craig
Craig A. Tull
3398 N. 130 W.
Frankfort, In
(765) 659-3959

Willow Creek Kennels

Hey Craig Blue Boy is one of them dogs that can do it in any format no doubt in my mind.
Whenever(you)decide to turn him loose on them hard hitting lp ,ukc , dogs im sure he will make some noise!!
Blue Boy walked through ARHA PP champion class with no problem!!
5 wins in 4 different states and 2nd in the US Championship champ class.
4 champ class wins in a row!!
Last edited by Willow Creek Kennels on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHANNON HOWARD
WILLOW CREEK KENNEL
LAWRENCEBURG KY

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

ole blue boy must be a dandy looks good too from what i can see of him post a bigger pic please :lol: jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

Willow Creek Kennels

Willow Creek Bustin Blue Boy

This is Willow Creek Bustin Betty out of Blue Boy x Wiercreek female 7mnths old and can burn a rabbit up !!

SHANNON HOWARD
WILLOW CREEK KENNEL
LAWRENCEBURG KY

ohlinger.s

Post by ohlinger.s »

I'm a ukc pp judge and they looker for a tighter line dog than arha little pack and ukc hound and hunter format. the idea is a tighter dog in the checks and on the line dogs are minused for skirting and cutting the track and reaching in the checks unless the conditions call for it. they award the dog getting it done within the pack. Where as little pack awards the dog that can break away from the pack with a hard driveing check.