AKC SPO - vs.- ARHA LP

Questions and Discussions about registry, rules and beagle field trialing in AKC. ARHA/NKC, CKC-Can, CKC-USA, PKC and UKC, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

wireman252

AKC SPO - vs.- ARHA LP

Post by wireman252 »

Can someone tell me the difference in these formats and what style of dog would do better in each of the formats.
I've ran in a few SPO trials , but never in ARHA LP. Thanks, John Babbitt

Dr. Chris

Re: AKC SPO - vs.- ARHA LP

Post by Dr. Chris »

I know it’s kind of confusing to keep up with the styles of dogs and all the federations and organizations.
ARHA & UKC are simple to keep up with.

ARHA has:
Gundog – slow
Progressive Pack – Medium
Little Pack – Fast
Big Pack – Really Fast

UKC has:
Performance Pack – Medium
Hunting Beagle Events – Fast

AKC has it a little more “twisted” and harder to keep up with. How the other two organizations have it distinctly separated, AKC has Brace, Small Pack, Small Pack Option, Large Pack and Two Couple Pack. But each of these has multiple organizations within each one.

But to save a lot of time, just the SPO {small pack option} has:
Deep South Beagle Gundog Federation
Iroquis Beagle Gundog Federation
Lone Star Beagle Association
Mid-America Beagle Gundog Association
Mid-West Beagle Gundog Federation
NE Beagle Gundog Federation
Penn Beagle Beagle Association
United Beagle Gundog Federation

All of these are different organizations within the SPO and they all have multiple clubs within each of them. And they all are at different locations of the country and they all vary in styles and speeds. So when a person says ”SPO”, that could mean a variety of speeds and styles that could range from ARHA Gun Dog -to- ARHA Little Pack and many in between. The statement “SPO” just simply means that they are packed in 4 to 6 dogs at a time during competition and that they are all supposed to be used as “gundogs”. But there are many styles and speeds within the SPO.

One easy tip to know which is which, go to their websites and see who is placing in each format, you can usually tell by the “bloodlines” that is being trialed, and gage it to what you have.

I would tell you what is what, because at one time I traveled with different friends and tried them all at least once. But it has been years and “fads” and what’s “in” changes so often, I am not sure who runs what these days.

But I do believe that {AKC-MidWest & ARHA Little Pack & UKC Hunting Beagle Events} are pretty much the same. I also think {ARHA Progressive Pack & UKC Performance Pack} are much the same too. But I may stand corrected. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Dr. Chris on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunslinger Beagles

Post by Gunslinger Beagles »

where does ubgf come in all of this? it is akc

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

Dr. Chris,
Thank you for your input. I did know about the Mid-west only because that's what I've ran. However,I didn't know all that much about the rest of what you posted, so again thanks for the information. I would also like to know , what's the difference in AKC : Small pack and small pack option ? I usually see trials that are advertised as SPO. Also what do the rules state if you enter a SPO on hare and they run a cottontail or vise versa ? Or did I just answer my own question . Is it an "option" to run either? Thanks

Dr. Chris

Post by Dr. Chris »

Gunslinger Beagles wrote:where does ubgf come in all of this? it is akc
UBGF is: United Beagle Gundog Federation and it is a part of the "SPO" in the AKC.

Dr. Chris

Post by Dr. Chris »

wireman252 wrote:Dr. Chris,
Thank you for your input. I did know about the Mid-west only because that's what I've ran. However,I didn't know all that much about the rest of what you posted, so again thanks for the information. I would also like to know , what's the difference in AKC : Small pack and small pack option ? I usually see trials that are advertised as SPO. Also what do the rules state if you enter a SPO on hare and they run a cottontail or vise versa ? Or did I just answer my own question . Is it an "option" to run either? Thanks
Small Pack, was the option to run the "style" of a pack of 4 to 6 dogs in a pack, instead of a 2 dog brace. It became known as Small Pack Option when Gunhunters in the mid-70's wanted to trial the faster "hunting dogs" in trials and they used the small pack method, but changed and added two main rules, 1) dogs would be shot over... 2) they would be judged for having "hunt". This was the beginning of "Small Pack Option". As far as the "Hare", I am not sure what the rule is now. I know years ago they had Large Pack for the Hare and if you were running SPO, it depended on the particular Judge. The older SPO Clubs only ran in enclosed pens, and some still do. So the only rabbits they ran were the rabbits they allowed in the pens, so they didn't have that problem. Many of the Brace fellows didn't even use wild rabbits, they were farm raised.

DoubleEagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Isn't ARHA all dogs 15 and under too? (as opposed to 13 and 15 inch classes)

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

This helped me to I have always though mine as Gundog but after seeing this post I would say they are Progressive Pack – Medium
Thanks for that post/imfo Dr. Chris