lp rule question

Questions and Discussions about registry, rules and beagle field trialing in AKC. ARHA/NKC, CKC-Can, CKC-USA, PKC and UKC, etc.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Chris Shoopman

Re: lp rule question

Post by Chris Shoopman »

a Check is a Check!

beagler80

Post by beagler80 »

If you seen the rabbit, and the dog hits the line and goes only 20 yards u still score it....you seen the rabbit and forward progress was made, u seen the rabbit so u know he was right.. In a normal situation I like to make a dog earn it because most the time you dont see the rabbit so if a dog hits I want to be sure before i give him anything, because a lot of dogs will hit and take off 50 yards and end up not having anythig and coming back. But if you seen the rabbit and he hits and progresses the line very far at all , you know hes right, score it
Diamond P Kennel

raccoon crk kennel

Post by raccoon crk kennel »

yes i agree 20 yrds is plenty,i was saying some judges wants 100 yrds some will give to the first dog barking in the ck without moving forward,myself i want to see that they have the line but they dont have to run it to the hole eather......

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

I speak from the point of view of an owner/handler, not a judge. It is obvious from this post that where "judgement" is the issue there are a lot of opinions. What I want to see is consistentcy during the cast, same standard used regardless of which dog is or is not being scored, I have been on casts where it seemed obvious some dogs seemed to get the benefit of the doubt and others didn't. In the end however, it is a judgement call and you might as well sign the card, have a good time, and try another day. Bobby

bwe007

Post by bwe007 »

Judgement call pyzon is 100% right be consistent if that wasn't a check in the previous 59 minutes its not a check in the last one.
LPRC LPGRBC COAL HILL'S PRINCESS WILLOW 2010 PA STATE CHAMP 2012 PA STATE RESERVE
LPRC HAWG DAWG'S CUPID R.I.P.
LPRC LPBCH EMRICH'S BLUE WILLIE
RHOADE'S ROYAL BLU BELLE R.I.P.

lebro

Post by lebro »

[quote="Rowco Beagle Kennels"] it is a judgement call and you might as well sign the card, have a good time, and try another day. Bobby[/quote as good advice as you can get.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

warddog

Post by warddog »

I don't trial beagles and these types of questions with all the messed up answers is why I don't. I will agree with Maple Valley when I picture the situation as stated. From what was described, had there been 5 minutes left in the hunt the dog would have moved out with forward progress enough to score the check as the dog appearantly did so after the 60 second time limit! As stated a check is a check and the hunt had 60 seconds left not 59. Regardless of whether time ran out or not that was an open check and the dog had it prior to the hunt time elapsing so you must score that check. There is NO judgement to be rendered in the situation as the dog either met the guidlines of what a check consisted of or it didn't, period! Folks need to get ALL this judgement out of their head and score as the wording of the rules state. I read this stuff all the time about measuring, judgement etc. When you allow subjectiveness to overrule and cloud objectiveness then you open the door for ALL these problems that are heard of in the competition arena. I witnessed it for several years in coon hunting competition until I got tired of the constant bickering. Most generally these situations are what they are and the only reason there is any judgement is when it has an impact on the cast winner. It wasn't mentioned but would this check score changed the cast winner? I can't even imagine it being an issue when the dog involved was the lowest dog in the cast.

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

i won a cast at the lil world this yr
my jenny dog grabbed a check with less than 5 sec. to go in the hunt
she drove it hard for along way. atleast 25 yrd befor others joined in
and i got the check it was right in front of us all handles judge and couple guys just watching
now here is the kicker i was tied with the 2nd place dog but i had a minus and he didnt

if jenny wouldnt have drove it out and just pecked around with out driving it and i didnt get
the check i would have agreed but thats me
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

jeremy rice

Post by jeremy rice »

an hour hunt is an hour hunt time left its a check. but it is a judgement call. Fox i think your dog at the little world opened on a wham bat. lol no she deserved that check she did well
RICE'S BEAGLES
Jeremy, Amy
Zack,Ashlee Rice

grayboy

Post by grayboy »

beagler80 wrote:If you seen the rabbit, and the dog hits the line and goes only 20 yards u still score it....you seen the rabbit and forward progress was made, u seen the rabbit so u know he was right.. In a normal situation I like to make a dog earn it because most the time you dont see the rabbit so if a dog hits I want to be sure before i give him anything, because a lot of dogs will hit and take off 50 yards and end up not having anythig and coming back. But if you seen the rabbit and he hits and progresses the line very far at all , you know hes right, score it
not judgement if you see the rabbit.dog has to be scored

beagler80

Post by beagler80 »

grayboy wrote:
beagler80 wrote:If you seen the rabbit, and the dog hits the line and goes only 20 yards u still score it....you seen the rabbit and forward progress was made, u seen the rabbit so u know he was right.. In a normal situation I like to make a dog earn it because most the time you dont see the rabbit so if a dog hits I want to be sure before i give him anything, because a lot of dogs will hit and take off 50 yards and end up not having anythig and coming back. But if you seen the rabbit and he hits and progresses the line very far at all , you know hes right, score it
not judgement if you see the rabbit.dog has to be scored
Exactly
Diamond P Kennel

grace kennels

Post by grace kennels »

thanks guys for answering this question, im a lp judge and i would have to give the dog a check, i dont see how you couldnt give it to it ,really it shoulnt be on how far he drove it because the judges seen it and he was making forward progress it doesnt say in the rule book feet wise how far a dog has to move it.

raccoon crk kennel

Post by raccoon crk kennel »

grace kennels wrote:thanks guys for answering this question, im a lp judge and i would have to give the dog a check, i dont see how you couldnt give it to it ,really it shoulnt be on how far he drove it because the judges seen it and he was making forward progress it doesnt say in the rule book feet wise how far a dog has to move it.
all though you seen the rabbit and know were it went doesnt in my mind constitute a ck as soon as a dog barks,i wanna see that the dog knows were the line is, there for i wanna see good forward progress on the line,like i said doesnt have to be a mile if he showed me 20 yrds id defiantly ck it, theres no givin distance but rather i have the line or not really doesnt matter cause im judging the dog to see if he knows witch way the rabbit went,i could care less if i seen the rabbit,its the dog that needs to show me that it knows were it went...

hskennels69

Post by hskennels69 »

WOW Kenny sounds like you have been studying,LOL.I'd say that dog deserves a check as long as it's still pounding it.That dog is still working hard at the end of the hunt and deserves credit for producing..JMO
Home of:
LP R. CH. UKC DUAL CH. PKC SILVER CHAMPION OLD DIRTY SOUTH PLAYBOY
H&S MUSTANG SALLY

JD Baisden

Post by JD Baisden »

There is nothing in the rules that says a dog has to go so many feet before it is awarded a check. All the dog had to do is open on the track that the judge seen and make forward progress. It does not matter if 60 seconds or 10 seconds is left, opening on a track and making forward progress is a check. There are to many judges out there that only score checks if a dog is all alone and drives 50 yards and not score the dog the works the point of loss to grub out the hard checks.
Home of:
Rase's Mtn. Kennels