spicer's blue back

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Rneil

Blue Back

Post by Rneil »

That is the great thing about a board like this. If you don't want to read something then just skip the topic! I'm not sure if Jimmie Abshire's intentions were the best however, I was interested in the information he provided and was hoping for more.
I know I will read about a dog then do a search and read to see if it is something I would be interested in. In three or four years I might breed my blue back female so I will have dogs for the future. When the time comes I will search blue back to look at the crosses that have been made and use the information to help make my decision.
Some subjects are beat to death however, someone might need the information someday so I say just skip the post if you don’t like it.
http://www.savgeroadbeagles.com
New site uploaded 2-5-08

Duke

Post by Duke »

Allen every hound I have has Blueback in its Bloodline, some 3 times. I have two pups that are out off a Son and Daughter of Blueback. I am very interested about what breeding other people are doing, and how they are being successful with crossing lines. I will have to stop linebreeding at different points and make out crosses at different times, that is the basis for any decent program. It is a topic I am interested in. I am always looking for a better hound.

In the interest in fairness I did go back and review my posts, and most of my posts have been on topic about Blueback. My Kennel having all Blueback hounds makes this is an interesting topic, and knowing and talking to Bert Spicer, I felt I could give some information that others are interested in. Most of what I said about Dutch(dang I did it again) :lol: was on the first two pages of the thread and were prompted by other members comments.

Thanks for your comments also Allen, do you have any Blueback hounds? What do you breed, maybe you have some insight on what crosses workout with this line?

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

Duke,
This thread is nothing but Blueback....so keep it going! Blueback is something that a few of us here are trying to cross into and if people are tired of reading about; it's simple.....don't read it! But, i'm always checking this thread, and like the fact that you and everyone else always have great input on this bloodline.
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

AFTERSHOCK

Post by AFTERSHOCK »

Years ago I breed my best female I had at that time to Blue Back and kept 1 male which he made a Grand bench champion and also a Little pack rabbit champion. I had 2 wins on him then I got stupid and sold him to Larry Kirkenbach ( not sure of the spelling) the hounds name is Ty's Candyman and the way he got his name just in case you are wondering is because my boys name is TY and he loved to eat candy when he was little and I told him it was his puppy so thats how he was named. I wish I would have kept Candyman but we all make mistakes. Back to Blue Back, I watched him run several times and 1 time I can remember was a world hunt final and it was a 4 dog cast Blue Back- scotty spicer Bomb- sammy wells possum-Johnny Miller and a dog that larry kirkenbach owned and in that cast all the spectators watched Blue back run down a rabbit in the side ditch and pick him right up off the ground without breaking stride. I personally thought he dominated the cast and should have won and Sammy wells will tell you the same thing. Here is how I would have placed them ( of course I was a spectator standing on the hill watching the whole race not acctually running over the hounds ) 1st Blue Back 2nd Bomb 3rd Possum 4th Larrys dog and here is how they placed 1st Possum 2nd Bomb 3rd Larry's dog and 4th Blue Back. The year was 1998.

Brad C

Post by Brad C »

I believe the other dog was called Lightfoot or something like that. I was there as well and I'd say there was at least 60 to 75 spectators and everyone that I talked to that day had them placed just as you did Craig, that includes Sammy Wells and his partner Juan Armitage. I have judged and ran against Blueback alot and the dog could drive a rabbit without a doubt. He did lack a little hunt, but was a fundamentally sound hound. I have seen sereval of his offspring run and would say the best I seen out of him was a hound by the name of thunder.

Lance

Post by Lance »

I had always heard Blueback was a very good track dog but lacked hunt. Was told that by a pretty prominent beagler at the time.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

If he was out of Brace dogs, its understandable he lacked hunt as the hunt was bred out of them.

jumpmaster

re

Post by jumpmaster »

I dont know what is wrong with with Allen Keller, but if he had read the posts on this subject, he would have read about a bigpack world champ., a UKC world champ, and several lp champs, that all are descended, from blueback. What more could you ask for? When I dont like something I usually just move on to something else. Duke, I know if I had a dog that won a world hunt in any format, I would talk about it, especially when someone asks me questions. In my opinion the weak link in this line of dogs is lack of hunt, but bred with a female with great hunt, you have the possibility of a great hound. I have seen plenty of them.

allen keller

blueback

Post by allen keller »

okay lets talk about blueback; 1 he is dead; 2 from all accounts sounds like an outstanding hound; 3; sounds like he throwed some outstanding hounds; now my question is what are the dogs sired by him, male and female are throwing; dogs such as dutch, i know his pups would be very young; maybe we can quit backtracking and answer some of these questions i might be interested in this line myself; but please define lack of hunt there different levels of hunt; first the walk on your heel type that went others start a track will show them how its done next we have a close hunting type that stays busy but hunts close, we all know what is next the over the hill gang; what male sired by blueback is throwing good pups right now; might breed a bitch to one

jumpmaster

re

Post by jumpmaster »

Cotys blue bogus is throwing good pups, thats who Dutch is out of. I have not seen a dog in this line with no hunt, but I have seen a few males run the trails, instead of dig in the briars. I had a male like this, he was a very smart dog, never stopped moving, never under your feet, but didnt jump many rabbits. When the rabbit was up, he was the best track dog I ever owned. I have a litter of six out of bogus that are running at four months, and every one of them will make rabbit dogs.

Duke

Post by Duke »

Allen,
Some males I know who have been throwing decent pups are Tys Candyman, Bogus, Blue Belly, Thunder, Out of those 4 sons of Blueback, I think 2 or 3 are Grand Rabbit Champions and 1 is a Rabbit Champion. I have a female out of Candyman who is the best jumpdog I have. Greg Brown had a daughter of Blueback who was either a Grand or Field Champion, she ran well but I cannot remember her name.

As far as hunt goes the Blueback hounds I have do have a whole lot. I have one female who has placed in several hunts, but did not really start pounding the brush till she was 2. She still was able to get rabbits up, go figure. One the other hand I have seen one of my dogs running full stride down a lane put on the brakes and turn into a briar and drive out a rabbit. To me hunt is also about producing, in fact we could start a whole new thread on this, but I have seen some hounds in the thick stuff all day, but never produce a rabbit, and others who would run down lanes or just amble along yet get up lots of rabbits. I think some dogs have rabbit sense and some don't also.

jonnyringo

Re: blueback

Post by jonnyringo »

allen keller wrote:duke i think we are all getting tired of hearing about blueback, about us talking about your dog, what is he producing, what lines have you crossed him with with what results what style of pup is he throwing,
Do you have a mouse in your pocket?
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

allen keller

blu

Post by allen keller »

ringo what blowed up your dress, now my fine feathered friend since it would be quite a feat to breed to blueback was wanting to fine out which blueback sired male is throwing good pups

jonnyringo

Re: blu

Post by jonnyringo »

allen keller wrote:ringo what blowed up your dress, now my fine feathered friend since it would be quite a feat to breed to blueback was wanting to fine out which blueback sired male is throwing good pups
:D
You said "we" and I was just curious who "we" was. ? If you stated "I" then I would have never replied.
Anyways, I hope you find the answer you're looking for.

Take care,
Ed

jonnyringo

Pup update

Post by jonnyringo »

The pup I have had reserved for a few months now was born last week. Should have her in a few months.
Diebold's Lil Dutchman bred a heavily bred Branko bitch name Jammin Jenny. This cross should fit right into my kennel nicely. Below is the link to Jammin Jenny's pedigree if anyone is interested. :D

http://espomagazine.com/pedigrees/1630.htm