bells

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

haroldbwill

bells

Post by haroldbwill »

What are the purpose for the bells?

Pete Tuck

Re: bells

Post by Pete Tuck »

Some people use bells to scare coyotes away. Some people say that bells are the coyotes dinner bell.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Mike's Ace in the Hole
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Most people use them so they have an idea where the dogs are if they're not barking track but out hunting and you can't see them. At least that's what I used them for.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

haroldbwill

Post by haroldbwill »

thank you, they would be beneficial for night running.

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

A wise man once told me they keep you from over shocking your dogs at night when you are calling them in.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

I always run with bells when its thick brush you know where there at if they make a loss you can here them coming back
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I use mine for the sole purpose of keeping up with the dogs although some claim they keep coyotes at bay.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

tinymwoods wrote:A wise man once told me they keep you from over shocking your dogs at night when you are calling them in.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

TC

Post by TC »

To IRRITATE those of Us who Caint Stand the constant DING DING DING DING DING DING DING :annoyed: :annoyed:
I Can UNDERSTAND the reasoning For Em and wont say that they are not beneficial its just that they irritate the heck out of me ;) ;)
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

6 bells and 6 tracker lights on a dark night and you think the circus has come to town.

PREACHERS,KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS,KENNEL »

they r also helpful to judges when trialing . you want the judge to focus on ur dog where its thick have a bell on yours and let noone else have one and watch what dog he sees the most.!i like them alot cmonn tc lets run lol.

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

tenntreedog wrote:6 bells and 6 tracker lights on a dark night and you think the circus has come to town.
I bet so. Especially when they're in a check and swarming all around tryin to find the track!

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

Hey Guys, I know several of you run bells so I have a question...How do you get your pups used to having them attached to their collar? I attached a bell to one of my 5 month old pups and absolutely lost it. He was running around the yard barking running in circles, had no idea what was going on or what the dinging was. Just wondering if its just something they gotta go through initially til they are used to it.

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

I have been using bells for 8 years they are good for young hunters, they may help some dogs in trials, but some judges wouldn't care if you had the liberty bell on them' yotes another question, i think it helps to some degree i have had some yotes hit some dogs that did not have bells, and all the others did and not get hit , but i always remember i had one real good female that had a bell on and they killed her. i have never had trouble with any dog being spooked by a bell. and i will always run with a bell on my dogs because they work most of the time. NOTHING IS PERFECT.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

Hey Guys, I know several of you run bells so I have a question...How do you get your pups used to having them attached to their collar? I attached a bell to one of my 5 month old pups and absolutely lost it. He was running around the yard barking running in circles, had no idea what was going on or what the dinging was. Just wondering if its just something they gotta go through initially til they are used to it.
I usually just put the bells on the pup's collar while they are in the kennel and leave it on them for sometime a week and when I let them out they don't pay any attention to the bells. I kennel all my dogs and pups seperate so I don't have a problem with the pups trying to chew them off each other but I have a hunting buddy that pup bells on his pups in the kennel and put them all back in the same kennel and they chewed the nylon straps off each others collar and even chewed off some of the collars.