Guys I need some help. My dog is at the vet Hosp. (Home Now)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

Re: Guys I need some help. My dog is at the vet Hospital

Post by Joeyman »

Update 11/19/2009 8:40am

thanks to all your kinds words to everyone on the board it is really helping me thru this. I deeply appreicate it.

The vet called me at 9:30pm last night. he went in after hours to check on him. He had some good news for me. pistol was sitting up and not shaking anymore and was in a calm state. He did urinate in his little kennel. I didn't know but the vet did inject steroids into him. The vet thinks that helped out alot. I was very happy to hear this. Fast forward to this morning and several prayers later. I spoke to the vet and he told me pistol was sitting up with his chest on the floor of the kennel not laying on his side like he had been the day before. Said he is calm and moving his head around. Vet said he is very tired and worn out from all the fight he put up. His lungs seem congested so vet is going to take a x-ray also I told the vet to go ahead and run another blood work test. So I'm waiting to hear back from that. I will ask the vet for the stool sample to see if he has poison in his system. We need to get pistol to eat. They gave him some nutri-cal so I hope that helps him. As of 5o'clock yesterday the vet thought he was not going to make it. He did look pretty bad. But he is very calm now and looking around.

Pistol is fighting right now very hard and I will also not give up. Thats my pistol. I will be there with him again today. I'm leaving work early to go see him. I'm hoping he wags his tail a bit when he sees me.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Hey that's great!
Good to hear his kidneys are working.
I put a table spoon of Karo syrup in a quart of water for any weak, if they are drinking. This will give them some strength.
Keeping the faith here... ;)

bocephus52804

Post by bocephus52804 »

If he won't eat dog food I would see if the vet would allow you to give him saw raw fatty hamburg, raw eggs with some dog food mixed in. Dogs love that and it is my go to recipe for a dog that is not eating.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

When the vet calls here shortly I'll ask to see what we can do to get him to eat some. I think eating will help out too. Pass some stool and get some of what he has out of his system it has to help somehow.

Atleast he is not dead. the vet yesterday was almost positive he was not going to make it. So if he is still alive that has got to mean something. Keep on fighting pistol you can do it.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

glad to here that

lifehog

Post by lifehog »

Good to hear. I am pulling for pistol.

TrevorR

Post by TrevorR »

Joeyman I just went threw this about a month ago. My dog had the same symptoms as yours and my vet gave him the steroid shot and antibiotics both pill and shot form. I brought him home after 1 night at the vet and kenneled him in the house gave the shot in the morning and pill at nite. Fed him a diet of boiled venison hamburger and vegetables, small portions 4 times a day. He was better in 2wks. and already has 25 rabbits under his belt for the season. The only problem I have now is he thinks he's a house dog.

big mike 50

Post by big mike 50 »

Great to hear!
When the tailgate drops the bull$#!t stops

PAhardwoods

Post by PAhardwoods »

atta boy pistol keep fighting!!
Hunt to live, Live to hunt

TC

Post by TC »

:nod:
Really Glad to hear Joey.....
Not trying to get off the Subject of pistol here but Actually this Would involve him.....
We All know how EXPENSIVE Vets can be......
just by accident a few years ago While going thru some dental Work I found out about a Company Called CARECREDIT....
Here is a link to their site now this is a Credit Card BUT not a credit card it is used for medical Expenses not just for Your hounds but Almost All Doctors! Dentist! and Vets! no money Down and they set your limit based on What you can afford to pay and the best part is that it is Interest Free for 12 mo on most charges has SAVED me a Bundle over the long Run...and our vet had not heard of it right off BUT called them and Got Set up...it Is a LIFESAVER in EMERGENCY'S or Just paying for that unexpected DR visit...not trying to Sell anything here Guys but JOEY Check it out.....
http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/
Last edited by TC on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

dave g

Post by dave g »

great news. thanks for keeping us all updated. another thing to feed to get some quick carbs into his system is cooked noodles with some beef broth over it. i am sure your vet will know how to get him to eat. it sounds like you have a good doc. i am pulling for pistol to make a full speedy recovery now.

later, dave

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

great news joeyman! Awesome!
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I've been thinking real hard about how he could of gotten sick. I went to a new CA that I've never been to and this was sunday Nov 8th and I noticed him sick Sunday Nov 15th he could of possibly been sick Nov 14th but I was gone all day deer hunting so I don't know.

Sunday the 8th I did notice some small field mice dead on the dirt paths at the Conservation grounds. Maybe he ate one of them. I don't know. Just a thought. thats the only thing I can think of at the moment. But he looked good Monday the 9th also the 10th 11th and 12th from what I can remember.

Thats the only thing I can come up with. We hunted a conservation grounds that I've never been to and that was Sunday Nov 8th. Don't know if that means anything or not. The area seemed nice and clean nothing out of the ordinary. Just some tall grass and grown up weeds and a couple of dead small mice that I saw.

Also he may have eaten rabbit guts or rabbit insides on the 6th or 7th while rabbit hunting.

TC

Post by TC »

Joey
I thought your vet said it was Erhlichia?
This Can Also Cause organ Failures And hemorrhaging lots of other Side effects to It, also make it Look like the hound was Poisoned.....The Blood teters should be able to tell the vet more......
Keep on lookin Up!!!!!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Yes he thought that was it. but now not so much anymore although the test showed that and that was the only thing that came up. He gave him the shot for that and it didn't work. Said he should of gotten better by the days end with that shot buth e didn't he got worse then got better as of last night 9:30pm. He said he is confused about the whole deal. He should be showing more symptoms and he's not. He hasn't had a fever yet the temp is normal. He isn't coughing or vomit or anything. Its just so wierd. Then his eye pupils got small indicating something going on in his brain. Then he had his legs going stiff then relax on and off thru-out the day. Now he is calm but still is spaced out and the vet isn't sure if he recongnizes anything. But he's sitting up and not laying and moving his head around. He has a bad bug in him just has to keep fighting it off.

I'm still waiting on the phone call from the vet for the test results. I'll let you all know the test results.

So far hes given Pistol a shot of Doxycycline and Chloramphenicol in a pill form. also steriods.