Guys I need some help. My dog is at the vet Hosp. (Home Now)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Buckeye Blues

Re: Guys I need some help. My dog is at the vet Hospital

Post by Buckeye Blues »

Glad the roller coaster ride is heading back uphill joey! I'll keep fingers crossed that when it reaches the peak this time it stays there.

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

to hear things are looking a little more positive
found this -
Chloramphenicol is a relatively simple neutral nitrobenzene derivative with a bitter taste. It is highly lipid soluble and is used either as the free base or in ester forms (eg, the neutral-tasting palmitate for administration PO and the water-soluble sodium succinate for parenteral injection). Chloramphenicol is a relatively stable compound and is unaffected by boiling, provided that a pH of 9 is not exceeded. The nitrophenol group of chloramphenicol is replaced by a methyl sulfonyl group for thiamphenicol and florfenicol; florfenicol also contains a fluorine molecule. These structural changes improve efficacy, reduce toxicity, and for florfenicol, the fluorine molecule reduces bacterial destruction.
Chloramphenicol is a unique antimicrobial agent; however, because of its tendency to cause blood dyscrasias in humans, 2 related drugs have been developed. Thiamphenicol is less effective but safer than chloramphenicol; florfenicol, a thiamphenicol derivative, is significantly more active in vitro than chloramphenicol against many pathogenic strains of bacteria. Florfenicol is approved for use in cattle

In humans, chloramphenicol (but not florfenicol) can produce 2 distinctive syndromes of bone marrow suppression. One form is characterized by nonregenerative anemia (with or without thrombocytopenia or leukopenia), increased serum iron, bone marrow hypocellularity, cytoplasmic vacuolization of blast cells and lymphocytes, and maturation arrest of erythroid and myeloid precursors. This suppression is dose-dependent and reversible. Daily doses of 50 mg/kg for 3 wk can produce similar effects in cats. Milder hematologic effects are evident in dogs at much higher daily dosages (225 mg/kg). Such blood dyscrasias may also be seen in susceptible neonatal animals given standard adult doses of chloramphenicol. This toxic effect is postulated to be due to interference with mRNA and protein synthesis in rapidly multiplying cells.
The second form of bone marrow suppression is much more serious. It is a usually irreversible aplastic anemia that is not related to dose and that often appears after the drug has been discontinued. The peripheral blood shows pancytopenia, and the bone marrow may be hypoplastic or aplastic. Usually, a hemorrhagic diathesis and secondary infection are also evident. The incidence is ~1:25,000-40,000. The aplastic anemia may result from toxic intermediates associated with the nitro group; thiamphenicol and florfenicol, without the nitro group, do not produce aplastic anemia, an observation that supports the theory. Due to the possibility that tissue residues in food animals might induce aplastic anemia in humans, use of chloramphenicol in food animals is prohibited in the USA and several other countries. A form of aplastic anemia, apparently a type of hypersensitivity reaction to chloramphenicol, has been recognized in dogs and cats.
GI disturbances can develop in all nonruminant animals treated with oral chloramphenicol. Use in neonatal calves leads to a malabsorption syndrome associated with ultrastructural and functional changes of the small-intestinal enterocytes. Anorexia and depression have been seen in cats treated for >1 wk.
Because chloramphenicol can suppress anamnestic immune responses, animals should not be vaccinated while being treated with this antibiotic. Because of its ability to inhibit protein synthesis, excessive topical application on wounds may delay healing.
In both male and female rats, chloramphenicol has adversely affected the structure and functions of the gonads. In large animals, adverse signs are most often associated with propylene-glycol-based preparations that, when infused rapidly IV, may result in collapse, hemolysis, and death.
Notwithstanding the severity of the chloramphenicol-associated side effects noted above, chloramphenicol is relatively safe, provided overdosage is avoided, courses of therapy are limited to 1 wk, the dose is reduced for newborn animals and for animals with impaired liver function, and there is no evidence of a preexisting bone marrow depression.
Interactions:
Chloramphenicol is a potent noncompetitive microsomal enzyme inhibitor that can substantially prolong the duration of action of several drugs administered concurrently. Frank toxic effects are likely if administration is repeated. Examples of such drugs include pentobarbital, codeine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, NSAID, and coumarins.
In combination with sulfamethoxypyridazine, chloramphenicol can cause hepatic damage. Chloramphenicol also delays the response of anemia to iron, folic acid, and vitamin B12. It interferes with the actions of many bactericidal drugs, such as the penicillins, cephalosporins, and aminoglycosides, and such combinations should not be used under most circumstances. Aqueous solutions of chloramphenicol sodium succinate should not be mixed with other preparations before administration because of a high incidence of incompatibility.
Chloramphenicol should not be administered concurrently with other antibacterial agents that bind to the 50 S ribosomal subunit (eg, the macrolides and lincosamides).
Effects on Laboratory Tests:
Chloramphenicol may cause increased alkaline phosphatase levels and prothrombin times. WBC and thrombocyte counts may be decreased. Anemia becomes evident in extreme cases. A false glucosuria test is possible.
Drug Withdrawal and Milk Discard Times:
The use of chloramphenicol in food animals is prohibited in several countries including the USA; in others, withdrawal times vary considerably and may be as long as 2 wk. Withdrawal time for florfenicol is 28 days. Florfenicol should not be used in dairy cattle ≤20 mo old, veal calves, calves <1 mo old, or calves on an all-milk diet.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

11/19/2009 12:10pm update

Just spoke to vet. Said pistol is steadily getting better slowly. He is still up and alert moving his head around looking. They are going to try and inject some food into him. I said I'll help out if I can with him eating when I get there today around 4pm. He did the blood test again. Said his white blood count is high indicating he is fighting infection. His liver checked out good and other organs checked out good as well. He also gave him more injectable antibiotics. I asked the vet do you think he is going to make it and he said quote "yes looks like he will make it at this point and time" I am one happy camper you have no idea. when I get their I'm going to give the ol boy a hug and a pat on the head for all you guys. Pistol is a fighter and is not giving up. Keep on fighting pistol I'm on the way.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Glad to hear it Joeyman!! Give him a belly rub for me and maybe a scooby snack when he gets to feeling a little better.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

this has been one big long nightmare from the start. I hope noone has to go thru this. Its just aweful. I really wish we knew what caused him to get so sick. I guess it has to do with the tick borne illness. Thats the only thing that came up positive with all the blood work test.

Terry Long

Post by Terry Long »

Joeyman glad he is doing ok and I'm happy about the steroid shot you hound should be back on his feet in no time but with his pupils like that make sure you get the steroid pills to reduce the swelling of the brain and other things that is why his pupil is are like they are
GREAT PLAINS BEAGLES
http://www.greatplainsbeagles.com
AKC & UKC Registered Gundogs

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I'm really not sure when I can take him home. I'd rather leave him there so they can keep a close eye on him for me. i'll put him in the house when I get him home so he feels comfy and all. I'm sure they are going to give me meds to put him on and such. So we have a bit to go till he is fully recovered. We are still not out of the woods but getting there I'm still hoping. Just don't hope his health goes south between today and tomorrow gotta keep staying positive and keep on fighting. Next big thing is to get him to start eating for us. Hopefully with me being there he'll eat for us. Maybe eat out of my hands.

tenntreedog

Post by tenntreedog »

Glad to hear Pistol is doing better hope it`s not too long of a road to full recovery.Hang in there Joeyman.

Beaglemomma

Post by Beaglemomma »

God Bless you and Pistol. I have been sitting here reading this and crying. Afraid the next post would be the bad one. Thank God he is doing better. Love him evey chance you get. We give our hounds the time we can spare and they give us their all. I lost one a few years ago to a snake bite. She was at the vets and passed on. I knew I should have stayed with her. Joeyman, I know the worst isn't over yet, but know God and the rest of us are pulling for Pistol.

I have never known a vet that won't take payments in instances like this if you are a regular. I had a horse go down in January, kept him going until March, had a $5000 vet bill. I used my Care Credit even though he said I could make payments. Care Credit is ok if you can make the payments in the timeframe but miss it by a day and all the interest comes back. The current rate is 22% and in January it is going to 26%. Of course we could be like a lot and run up the credit and then not pay it and expect some program to bail us out.

I degress, Pistol hang in there! You can make it. Stayed home from work for five days once to nurse a sick dog. Took him to the vet and he said he could lay around there or at home. After losing the one to the vets I brought him home and nursed him. This dog turned as yellow as a school bus. Joeyman if you want to bring him down to Little Rock I will sit with him. When the one was sick I forced pedialyte in him and carried him out stood him up and let him pass the poison out. He is fat and sassy now. Joeyman, again God Bless you and all of your hounds. :angel:

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Beaglemomma wrote:God Bless you and Pistol. I have been sitting here reading this and crying. Afraid the next post would be the bad one. Thank God he is doing better. Love him evey chance you get. We give our hounds the time we can spare and they give us their all. I lost one a few years ago to a snake bite. She was at the vets and passed on. I knew I should have stayed with her. Joeyman, I know the worst isn't over yet, but know God and the rest of us are pulling for Pistol.

I have never known a vet that won't take payments in instances like this if you are a regular. I had a horse go down in January, kept him going until March, had a $5000 vet bill. I used my Care Credit even though he said I could make payments. Care Credit is ok if you can make the payments in the timeframe but miss it by a day and all the interest comes back. The current rate is 22% and in January it is going to 26%. Of course we could be like a lot and run up the credit and then not pay it and expect some program to bail us out.

I degress, Pistol hang in there! You can make it. Stayed home from work for five days once to nurse a sick dog. Took him to the vet and he said he could lay around there or at home. After losing the one to the vets I brought him home and nursed him. This dog turned as yellow as a school bus. Joeyman if you want to bring him down to Little Rock I will sit with him. When the one was sick I forced pedialyte in him and carried him out stood him up and let him pass the poison out. He is fat and sassy now. Joeyman, again God Bless you and all of your hounds. :angel:
Thank you beaglemomma for the kind words I was crying right there along with you and I haven't done that in awhile. And agian thanks to all who have been following this thread and rooting for the best. You all are my beagle buddies and I can come to you in a time of need. Means a lot to me.

I am about to head on out of here to see him and talk to him. Hope his spirits are better when he sees me and starts eating for us. I'll sit there for as long as I can talking to him. I'm hoping he gives a little wag with his tail.

huntall50

Post by huntall50 »

Glad to hear Pistol is getting better. We can't protect our fellow beaglers from such cause we all are gonna have those times but glad that we can be there in spirit to comfort and lend some insight.

Cutemloose

Post by Cutemloose »

Just what pistol needs is steriods tell him not to give him to much or we will have to send him over to Fairmont to race the ponies :biggrin: :biggrin: i cant wait for him to get home and get after the bunnies its been two weeks and i miss the big guy ;)
Team Trackemdown- Missouri Rabbits Running For Their Lives

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

:dance: can't wait to see some new pics of you and pistol after a good days hunt joeyman hope it's a speedy recovery! really happy for you both!
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

sctx

Post by sctx »

I hope your dog is still doing better. I would be worried about the "little dead field mice". Could they have been poisoned? Could there still be some poison out there? Hope all works out.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I got to the vets ofice and he was laying in a big ol bed them made for him with a pillow for his head. I said like I always do to him in a real quick way "Pistol" he started waggin his tail and moving he's head about.....put a smile on my face. He was sure happy to see me. I stayed with him for an hour. They couldn't get him to eat but I sure did. They had some what looks like cat food in a can but its for dogs too. I got him to eat a can and a half of that stuff. I had to hand feed him though. Open his mouth and toss a chunk in and he swallows it. Also I got him to drink water too. I have to hold his head though. His head shakes from side to side pretty good. So I hold his head steady so he could drink and he drank alot too. So the vet came and we discussed what the plan was. So he and I both agreed for me to take him home. They got me a bunch of blankets and a case of that cat food which I really dislike. They gave me two different antiboiotics to give twice daily. Other than that he said Pistol should be up and walking around in 2-3 days. Which I doubt that.

He is very very weak. Can Not stand on his own. Can Not eat on his own. Can Not drink on his Own. Pees where he lays and this morning You don't want to know what I found. Poo all over and it took me over a half hour to clean.

I need some suggestions on what I can feed him other than that nasty cat food in a can. I don't like it its messy it stinks and I don't think Pistol likes it anyhow. I need to come up with a better bedding deal too. I need to somehow contain him so he don't go off and poo a few feet away. He actually somehow got up and poo'd about 4 ft where his bed is. How I have no idea.

I went ahead and let Lisa out. She is Pistol's best bud and kennel mate. That sure cheered Pistol up. He was waggin his tail and trying to smell her. And Lisa was all over him and trying to help him out. It was cool to see. She was laying next to him and was trying to comfort him. So I let her stay with him for an hour. She got a little to comfortable....lol