Need a answer!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mossyoak660

Need a answer!

Post by mossyoak660 »

I have 2 boy beagles 16 months old. I have only been working with them alot ever since October. They havent been getting the idea so i bought a 4 year old female a few weeks ago to help train them .Last week she jumped one rabbit,today she jumped and ran three (which got my blood pumping lol).But the two pups keep coming back to me over and over they will follow her while shes hunting then come back to were im at.They just dont seem to get that they need to stay out theire with her.What should i do break the pair up and only take one out with my female at a time??

Cutemloose

Re: Need a answer!

Post by Cutemloose »

It will click one day while your out there had the same thing with my dog then one day bam off he went
Team Trackemdown- Missouri Rabbits Running For Their Lives

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

That would help if they are sight Chasing and putting there nose down then there real close to start I take a pup out by there self 2 times and then with a broke dog if I dont have a place with alot of rabbits I take them to a starting pen for 2 weeks or a month it takes time and pateints
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

That would help if they are sight Chasing and putting there nose down then there real close to start I take a pup out by there self 2 times and then with a broke dog if I dont have a place with alot of rabbits I take them to a starting pen for 2 weeks or a month it takes time and pateints
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

My golden rule is ONE pup at a time!
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

LaMarr Rhoades

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

kennel the pup you want to start first with her
good dogs run on good days,great dogs run when u take them out

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Had 2 females that done the same thing couple years ago stay with the older dog until she started a rabbit then come back.What i did was turn them out when they left i would get back into the truck or hide from them after a few times they couldnt find me they would go back to her wasnt long about a week they started running.

bill huttozac

Post by bill huttozac »

At age 16 months, those hounds would have to be extremely well bred to remain in my kennel, take more of my time and and not run a rabbit. One should be careful in placing pups or unstarted dogs with an older dog. Older dogs often teach young dogs bad things. I start two pups at a time by themselves. Beagles, like Bird Dogs, are known to be self starters. Good luck!!!

ray s

Post by ray s »

the one thing i see you could do with their current actions.if they want to stay with you,set them up to get a sight chase.move into place to cut off the rabbit the older bitch is running.( as you would if you where hunting)if the Pups"are in that area with you ,their chances for a sight chase is better.and if they "have it" they will chase the game eventually.by the time they loose the track the old girl should be coming through to maybe fire them back up.
you can only manipulate a pup so much so,be patient.
hope this helps.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Mine was younger 8 months i didnt notice they was 16 months you may have your hands full if they are not started at the end of season i would find them a new home