OK folks I need answers ........

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Chippewa01

Re: OK folks I need answers ........

Post by Chippewa01 »

In a pack up until 20 days, solo, until 40 days, daily walks on a leash until day 58. That's what old timers around here have told me. Key is to keep them in shape. Pregnancy and labor is a lot easier on a female that's in shape compared to one that has laid around for two months
http://www.chippewa-valley-kennels.webs.com
Home of
Ch HbCh Buckeye Bear of Brush
PcH GrHbCh Chippewa Bear Cub
GrHbCh Chippewa Little Rachel

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

I agree with keeping a female in good condition untill they deliver. Regular exercise is a good thing. I would avoid more stressful situations like large pack action or running in extreme heat. A couple early morning rabbits wouldn't hurt IMO. Once they start to show or bag up I am more carefull. Don't want em to get all scratched up. Good nutrition, plenty of water, and exercise are probably all important. My vets have always been big on feeding the female puppy food when the pupies are growing in them. Purina agreed with the idea. Has also worked for us to keep both female and pups healthy. Exercise with plenty of water and excellent nutrition is good for 'em.
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

She should be well rested when the pups come. Other than that, run her and keep her tough.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

I think she needed to be in good shape as well , easier at whelping . I ran her lightly Sunday nite and now I'm laying her up , however I had removed her from her 5 X 10 kennel into a 10 x 12 whelping kennel , she's 10 days from whelp date today. I'll also put her in a 1/2 acer lot for a few hours per day for another 5 or 6 day just so she can run around some to exersize some . She's started bagging up with small amout of 1st milk and she's started belling up now more towards her back end.
You guys are as always ,, the best ;-)

Randy
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Randy, I don't think she'll make 10 days. More like 3-5.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

John ,
That's what I was thinking , remembering back when we had cattle when the calf started moving back it wasn't long till the calf came ;-)
Randy
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"