top 10 most influential beagler

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mooredog

Re: top 10 most influential beagler

Post by mooredog »

Donnie and Dave McVay of Sundown Kennels.
Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

deadeyebeagle

Post by deadeyebeagle »

22 23 years ago tbrabbitmans dad big terry new what it took to have great dogs he ran sport almost every day that dog was a beast and sports pup max was to he didnt do it to chace ribbons he did it to have a good time rabbit hunting.thanks for taking me. i had a great time shooting more rabbits than tbrabbitman :D .
1 big terry byas
DEADEYES POACHER

Jeremy Mapes

Post by Jeremy Mapes »

Bill Sawyer is at the top of the list for me. He had champions in AKC and UKC, but more important than that; he bred rabbit dogs. He knew how to get the best out of a hound. I believe he made UKC's first ever champion. A wealth knowledge that ol preacher had. Sure do miss talking dogs with him.
Dry Creek Kennel-Bred to get it done where it counts the most "under the gun".
RIP FC Buckeye's Big John
PCH HBCH Dry Creek Stroke Of Genius
DCK Bounty Hunter
DCK Queen Of The Cage (Rousey)

golden acres

Post by golden acres »

Blair those a 3 good ones. Keep them coming.
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

BRANKCO AND SESTER

BG BEAGLER

Post by BG BEAGLER »

RB is on my list but I think Monroe needs be on there somewhere....he defineteley has influenced trialing...no doubt about it....jut lOok at any trial result in the rabbit hunter or better Beagling...like it or don't itsa fact
Matt Marple

WFO Kennels

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Terry Mcbride, Joe Wingate,..........DH

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

Bill bredemeier, mark swartz, don bramlett, earl bruner, Jesse painter, Mel Faust, Dennis Kennedy,
FCGD Lprch pprch GLOMSKI'S BIG TIME
LpGrch GLOMSKI'S CRIMSON FLAME

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

I think Branko Krpan has influenced beagles more than anyone since 1990. On the UBGF side, you would have to say Paul Short was just as influential. In show beagles, no single person comes to mind, although the Shaws from Illinois would have to be mentioned.

Don Hoog belongs on the list since 1990, but he was not one of the founders of the MidWest Association. He came along a little later.

Here are most of the men who started the MidWest Association in the early 80s:
From Great Miami: Larry Carter, Walter Johnson, Carl Johnson, Bob Johnson, Jerry Eversole, Milton Goings, Raymond Walters, Robert Gregg, Eugene Wells, Charlie Allen, Marvin Mason, Larkin Hensley
From Scioto Valley: Dan Mullens, Larry Fout, Randy Bailey, Carl Womack, John Sexton
From Jessamine County: John New, Arlis Jones, RB Sester, Walter Hood, Fred Faust

We held the meeting to form the Association one night in a restaurant in Middletown, OH. Many of the above mentioned men attended. Larry Carter and John New probably were the main leaders of the MidWest movement.

kenjames

Post by kenjames »

:neutral:
Last edited by kenjames on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camp Hill Kennels: Home to Lemon and White Beagles

old school

Post by old school »

Jacob James was a very influentual beagler to me and alot of others. I could type here and tell you of all of the things that I have seen he do for individuals or for the sport of beagling. He passed this year, way to early for alot of us, I will NEVER forget this man and the impact he had individuals and this sport. He truly loved the sport of beagling from field trialing to gun hunting to preserving or promoting organizations or causes that drive our sport. He may not be the most influential overall, but he was the most influental to me. Men like this from the coast to coast, north to south, is what keeps our sport alive. If we can't help a cause for a sport we love, at least don't do nothing to hurt it. Good topic.

BG BEAGLER

Post by BG BEAGLER »

Beagle huntsman tell us more bout that night I'm a big history buff no matter what the topic what all did u discuss what drove you all to have the meeting Any stories u have really interest me and which of the mentioned men r u...thanks for any insight u provide
Matt Marple

WFO Kennels

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Lil.Bredemeier wrote:Bill bredemeier, mark swartz, don bramlett, earl bruner, Jesse painter, Mel Faust, Dennis Kennedy,
Pretty nice little list with the exception of Mr Faust these fellas paved little pack highways. Bill Bredemeier was one of the finest to ever speak with and in a round about way sorta got indiana up and running and got the big hunts to the hoosier state. Dont know how many on here remember the old 2 story house the birdhunters used to have but i sat along side wayne waits , mark swartz and earl and patricia bruner and just listened alot back then. Jay Painter was a near dear friend and i spent many a day just hanging in the field and taking notes. Good times and good friends all of them . Jacob James name was mentioned another fella that helped pave the road. There is so many new faces and friends these days its just not what it once was to me but the ARHA Is still a great org in my heart as many of us weaned our teeth in competetion there. When i think of the midwest i always think of Mark Brown in Liberty. He was the one that pulled me away from little pack for something new to try to try. Ol don is a legend and still plugging away i have also spent lots of time with Lewis Long who really taught me how judging in akc should be . There is a ton of fellas that are truly getting alot of work done in the field every trial. Scott Music, Jeff Martin Denny Dugan, Brian Bush, Greg Wells the list just goes on and on. Beagles have made me live long friends win lose of draw. Neat Post thanks for the memories.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

pcable

Post by pcable »

Have to agree with caudillkennels and J. C. Blair. Here in Eastern KY, Dexter Reffett and Farrel Smith have had a huge impact on beagles. Farrell Smith has bred some of the best rabbit dogs around. He is not able to get to a lot of trials, but has someone to run his dogs and handle them. He knows bloodlines and pedigrees as well as anyone I know and can tell you about a dog very well just by looking at them. Farrell and Dexter both are very good guys all around and will help you any way they can. I consider myself very lucky to know them!
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

Goforth

Post by Goforth »

This a little bit different thought process than what is being posted, but for me I would say my Grandpa "Oldman". He didn't finish 30 FC or start the Midwest, but he took me hunting and running a lot. I miss those days.