how to stop backtracking

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jim2

how to stop backtracking

Post by jim2 »

have 2 year old male doing this need help he acts like he knows better what causes this

Post by Guest »

btt

Beagleman973

Post by Beagleman973 »

This is typically seen in young dogs...but if you let it become a habit they get away with....later on it can be almost impossible to break.

First how far did the dog backtrack...many dogs will go a yard or two...if they have lost the scent...to see if the rabbit has side jumped...this is not back tracking. Also...are you sure the dog wasn't working a double..where the rabbit went back down the same way he first went.

The reason dogs tend to do this is that they have lost the track, and instead of continuing to search for the check will instead just run the track backwards. If you are sure that is what is going on try picking up the hound and returning it to the check area. If it attempts to backtrack again, yell no loudly and and block its patch, swatting him on the nose, etc to force him in the right direction. I don't recommend an e-collar to cure this fault, because the hound is on a rabbit track and that could confuse him. You just need to get him going in the right direction.

Once again, make absolutely sure the hound isn't working a double. If you take this approach you can stop a young or inexperienced hound from developing this fault.....but if you let it continue....you are on your way to a hound that can never be dependable or trusted.

Good luck...it can be cured in some cases...but not all. Much depends on the hound and how diligent you are.
If you can't run with the BIG DOGS stay on the porch!

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

On the physical side of things, if this is something he just started even though he's been running for a while, have his teeth checked and ears/nose/throat checked for possible infection. I've seen this with older dogs whose teeth have bcome infected, but yours seems pretty young for that.

I've also seen dogs backtrack out of a check if they are feeling pressured by other dogs in the pack. They want to be the first out of there with the track and they rush at the first sign of scent instead of taking the time to work it out correctly.

Most died-in-the-wool backtrackers I've seen have done it to some extent from day one.