removing dew claw trick

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sammiller03

removing dew claw trick

Post by sammiller03 »

I removed the dew claws from my litter of pups last night . i use small side cutters. i saw on the internet where some people use small hemostats to crimp them off and thought this was a good idea so i took one pair of side cutters and dulled them with a file . it semmed to me that the ones that were taken off with the dull cutters bled alot less i think its becouse it crushes the vein instaed of cutting it. i clamped down and held each one for about ten seconds before removing it. really seemed to help. this litter had large dew claws and there was still blood but crimping them istead of cutting seemed to help. a was also thinking about heating up the cutters and if that would coterize at the same time.

sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

BCBeagles

Re: removing dew claw trick

Post by BCBeagles »

Sam,

I use a suture removal kit. I work for a company that sells them so I just send them in to a site at no charge, then take a couple of them...lol, they know I do this, I used to work there.

I also get Silver Nitrate sticks, cut of the dew claw then Silver Nitrate, no bleeding at all. Best way I have found. Good luck with your pups!!

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

i use the toenail clippers for dogs. slide it over claw pop it off and lay pup back down for mom to clean up. Typically little to no bleeding when i do it. just done my pups a few days ago.

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

BCBeagles wrote:Sam,

I use a suture removal kit. I work for a company that sells them so I just send them in to a site at no charge, then take a couple of them...lol, they know I do this, I used to work there.

I also get Silver Nitrate sticks, cut of the dew claw then Silver Nitrate, no bleeding at all. Best way I have found. Good luck with your pups!!
BC, where do you get the silver nitrate sticks.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I am fortunate to work for a medical supply sales company.

you may be able to goggle them and get them, but not sure.

Mo Rabbit Runner

Post by Mo Rabbit Runner »

We used a pair of toe nail clippers at 3 days old. They didn't even whimper and no blood.
Honky Tonk King Shamrock
Honky Tonk Call Me The Breeze
Honky Tonk Get Ahead Little Red
Honky Tonk Sweetheart Vom Levi Haus
PR Honky Tonk Maiden Of Mayhem
PR Master Of Mayhem Vom Levi Haus

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Jim, most vet supply companies have the sticks and they will sell them to the public.
Also around here so do the County extension stores.

sem

Post by sem »

How do you remove them from an older pup? I have one about 8 weeks old that needs one removed. It looks like they removed one side and tried but missed the other.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Cuticle scissors...have someone hold him tight...hold his muzzle.

Cut it off and apply some vaseline....he will be fine.

Good luck!!

island ridge hounds

Post by island ridge hounds »

can you take them off of older dogs????
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.