big bluestem

Post pics, questions, and helpful tips for your fellow beaglers here. Be sure to mention in what part of the country and terrain you live.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bartman357

big bluestem

Post by bartman357 »

Let me set the stage! In March of 2014 I burned off a crp field of clover, fescue and weeds, waited until April and lightly disked the entire field. Then I broadcasted lespadeza and big bluestem (50lb). Then harrowed it in! A few days later got a good rain!
A week or so later, I had sprouting and looked good! I was familiar with lespadeza so I knew what it looked like, but was not familiar with big bluestem! The stand was looking good, well about the end of June. My beautiful Bluestem field was now about 36" to 48" tall and started putting on heads! ( It was foxtail)! This field is still in the crp. Program. So I couldn't mow it until Oct.1st! Part of the reason I didn't catch this was because prior to burning and working it, there was no foxtail in the field!
I went ahead and mowed it off at 12" their is a decent stand of lespadeza, but I don't know if any of the bluestem made or if foxtail choked it out!
what advise can u all come up with?????

bartman357
( www.bartsbunnies.com) :blackeye:
Bartman357
Www.bartsbunnies.com
Ava, Illinois

rabbitatfarm

Re: big bluestem

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I would check with your soil conservation district. There may be a herbicide that could be used to eliminate the fox tail. Burning might take out the fox tail but probably the lespedeza too. Let us know what you find out.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

bartman357

Post by bartman357 »

Maybe I should be patient and see what comes up this season! But I am going to talk with the soil conservatives!

bartman357
Bartman357
Www.bartsbunnies.com
Ava, Illinois

JMW

Post by JMW »

I believe you will find in Illinois the mow off date to be August 1

bartman357

Post by bartman357 »

You're right, just a brainfart on my part!
Bartman357
Www.bartsbunnies.com
Ava, Illinois

bartman357

Post by bartman357 »

Just to update my blog, I have found several bluestem seed heads, it is far from thick but, it is only the second year and it has a lot of weeds to compete with! Bottom line is, don't give up too soon.
Bartman357
Www.bartsbunnies.com
Ava, Illinois

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Very interesting post, and I have about the same thing, happen to me.

I had use the Blue Steam, mixed with Indian Grass and over 8 pounds, of Switch Grass, in a starting pen that I have sowed all Kinds of grass over the years. I did not burn it but disked and plowed it well several times,, then it set in to raining ever day for the month of March. then it was dry for about a month and when it did rain It came up and I seen all kinds of new grass, but I never seen any of the three new seeds so I don't know it I have anything that I was trying to get started it is very thick and about 18" o 24" ?

I will just wait and see if anything that I planted made it as it a big mess .

D.R
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia