Feeding Quantity

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

way-ahead-beagles

Feeding Quantity

Post by way-ahead-beagles »

I've been really busy at work the past few weeks and haven't had much chance to get the hounds out to run. I currently feed Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice, about 1-1/2 cup daily. Beagles are outside in an above ground kennel. Also have a Weimaraner in the house that I feed the same food, but 3 cups per day.

How much would you all feed in my circumstance? I am located in Ohio, so we get some cold weather. When it gets really cold, I'll bring them in to the garage, where I have a 8 foot square enclosure I keep them contained in.

Thanks.

Casey Harner

Re: Feeding Quantity

Post by Casey Harner »

Regardless to running or not I feed at least two 1/2 cups in the winter time. The cups I use are the large Wendy cups you can get in the Resturant. It being colder they use that food to store fat to keep warm. I eat like a bear when in the winter.

If I'm running extremely hard in the winter, I might feed three times daily of cups. I feed high energy from Victor (red bag).

They keep weight on real well in the cold when they are running all day...
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I feed Diamond natural Lamb and Rice too. I give them two cups in the morning and another cup or so at night. I run them two or three times a week plus trials. They don't look fat to me.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

sem

Post by sem »

What size dogs are you guys feeding?

billpapas

Post by billpapas »

I feed 2 cups a day in winter and hunting, warm weather about 1. I run 13 inch hound.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

I feed according to how the dogs look. If getting heavy cut back or add if needed. Dont pay so much to what it said on feeding guide lines and such. The dogs will tell you by how they look, and not all dogs need same just like people.this time of year i am around 2 1/4- 2 1/2
Tom

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I feed according to how the dogs look. If getting heavy cut back or add if needed.
I thought this was common sense but apparently its not. Still see dogs grossly overweight and shamefully underweight. You can't starve a dog into shape but absolutely no reason for a dog to be way overweight. Many times when you see a fat dog you will see a fat owner.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly