Jessamine Kentucky trial entries ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kwolf

Jessamine Kentucky trial entries ?

Post by kwolf »

I was surprised to see they only had 16 big males over the weekend. I can remember going to that trial (the super bowl) in the 80's and having over 100 big males alone , they did not have that in all 4 classes combined. What do you think is going on here? Gas prices are down in the lower $2.00 range, the weather was good. Not trying to be a smart a_s just wonder what some of your thoughts were to the low turn out. I hear a lot of guys say they don't trial anymore because of some of the judging , I have seen dogs get picked up that had dominated the pack , jump ,check, and run most of the front and were told they did not have as much score . This alone will kill entries . What are some of your thoughts. Thanks Ron Preston

pabstman

Re: Jessamine Kentucky trial entries ?

Post by pabstman »

Ron when did you experience a dominant dog that you speak of get picked up? Sounds like a nice dog and should have moved on.

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

Two trials a year don't help at all. With that being said put on your running shoes and go judge. Tired of people whining and not doing nothing about it. A lot of gallery judges out there.... Their dog wins every trial. :shock:

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Back in the Super Bowl days, there were only around six ( Jessamine Co, Wurtland, Great Miami, South Ky, White Water, Westland, Mid-Mi.) trials a year & everyone that had a dog that could track a rabbit showed up. It was hard to get 3 wins then , but easier to get the 120 points required. Now, there are 24 clubs that can hold 2 trials a year. People don't have to travel to one certain trial. Club names aren't important; it's the judges & running grounds that make a trial. A FC these days has to win or place at many more trials to gain enough points with lower entries. The AKC FC standard of 3 wins & 120 points will always be tough to accomplish either way; high or low entries. Although, as a club president for many years, I was against clubs having a second trial. I knew how much work it was to put on just one quality field trial & although I enjoyed it , I thought one per year was enough because I thought the other one would take away from the first one & it wouldn't be as special in some way. Now we are having problems with different clubs having licensed trials on the same weekend & lower entries across the board. I think the Mid-West would be wise to take a look at the 2 trial theory & determine if it helps or hurts our Federation. I will say though, 16 big males isn't the norm; they usually run from 25 to 35 at most trials. One positive thing with lower entries is that the judges have more time to judge the hounds entered & the dogs usually get a better look. The 9 dog winners pack ran for 4 hours Saturday.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

Maybe its just me but when I'm deciding which hunts I'm going to I first look to see who has supported my home club. Those are the first ones i will go to to support. It seems like there are so many trials in the immediate kentucky area that the guys in the area get their fill of hunts and dont need/want to travel to clubs further out because they have so many close. I agree with Mr. woods when he says we need to look at one trial a year but when AKC allows 2 a year some will want to use them both and I can't blame them for that either. Might save all the clubs landing trials on top of other clubs same weekends and having lower dog counts at both trials IMO.
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

jgraves

Post by jgraves »

I couldn't agree with u more Ron.
Ifc armando's credit line
FC TB's Big Boy
FTCH Cryon Rambo 2
Fc gum swamp matilda
FCGD Sara's White Eye

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

That was one of my points. There are so many trials that people can pick & choose from several trials which ones they want to attend (support).There's much more room for politics to enter the system. Not saying at all, that this is going on now, but it would be easier too hide if people wanted to conduct themselves in this manner. I have seen it in the past & I hope I never see it again.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Ron Conroe wrote:Two trials a year don't help at all. With that being said put on your running shoes and go judge. Tired of people whining and not doing nothing about it. A lot of gallery judges out there.... Their dog wins every trial. :shock:

Good post.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Chris Powers

Post by Chris Powers »

Jessamine would like to thank everyone that did take time out of there busy schedule to support the club and all the Judges and others that helped this past weekend. We hope to grow the numbers in the future we had plenty of game and running was very good for conditions!!
Bark Camp Kennels

main event`s beagles

Post by main event`s beagles »

that's one of my goals in life is to win at that club
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

I'm thankful that there are more trials to attend, even though it's difficult for me right now working a swing shift and raising 3 young children. It gives someone like myself more opportunities to attend. I was at the trial this past weekend with my 15" female. While I didn't agree entirely with what happened in my pack, it ultimately came down to my dog not being ready. She just didn't have the ground time prior to the trial for several reasons, 4 of those reasons were mentioned above, and that falls on me. I will continue to support the club regardless of my success or failure because Chris Powers and Jimmy Roark are 2 fine gentlemen that I consider good friends. Like Ron stated, if you don't like it what are you prepared to do to change it. If you do not intend to put forth any effort to resolve what you think is a problem, then there really isn't justification for complaints. I think that goes for anything in life.

To have success in this sport requires more than just a good dog. It requires so much dedication to training that it makes it difficult for someone like myself to have their hounds consistantly ready. That isn't any judges fault, good or bad. I've been attending trials off and on for a long time without getting that blue ribbon yet, but it will happen. In the meantime, I will enjoy the comradery and attempt to better prepare my hounds. Just my $.02 and it was good to see everyone.

Chevy10

Post by Chevy10 »

I've been trailing for a few years now .. I thank a lot of the reason they r getting less dogs in the trails is the judging . For example the most imported thang to me when I take my dog to a trail I want a good a honest judge second I hope to have awesome running in the cast . 3rd I hope my dog does best in the cast of dogs .. My point is a man shouldn't half to worry about getting a judge to b honest . Not trying to start any thang but post ask voiced my opinion so I did ... Yes they r some vary good judges out their just few an far between .. Really this is way They r so few new comers to the sport . I'm actually thanking about getting out my self .

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Chevy10 wrote:I've been trailing for a few years now .. I thank a lot of the reason they r getting less dogs in the trails is the judging . For example the most imported thang to me when I take my dog to a trail I want a good a honest judge second I hope to have awesome running in the cast . 3rd I hope my dog does best in the cast of dogs .. My point is a man shouldn't half to worry about getting a judge to b honest . Not trying to start any thang but post ask voiced my opinion so I did ... Yes they r some vary good judges out their just few an far between .. Really this is way They r so few new comers to the sport . I'm actually thanking about getting out my self .

:check:
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

sparky

Post by sparky »

Chevy10 wrote: I thank a lot of the reason they r getting less dogs in the trails is the judging .. For example the most imported thang to me when I take my dog to a trail I want a good honest judge.. My point is a man shouldn't half to worry about getting a judge to b honest .. Yes they r some vary good judges out their just few an far between.
Alot of guys have taken the judging seminar and gotten their license,but their never asked to judge. There's alot of honest beaglers out there,and there's some honest judges. There's also clicks out there,we all know it exists,there's politics in everything.
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

the guys that got there licenses got to get their name to some clubs. Clubs don't know who took there seminar. Maybe should get a hold of some clubs instead of waiting for them. Another thing is a lot of guys won't travel....sounds easy don't it..