Picking the dominant pup(or alpha pup) in a litter??

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BCBeagles

Picking the dominant pup(or alpha pup) in a litter??

Post by BCBeagles »

This subject is something I have thought often about. What have been past experiences with picking and or raising the Alpha male or female from a litter. Seems like we always end up with one a bit lower in pecking order, but this litter has one we may keep and he is one of the high ranking ones.

Just looking for opinions. Always willing to listen and learn...thanks!!!
Last edited by BCBeagles on Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbitatfarm

Re: Picking the dominant pup in a litter??

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Once an Alpha, always an Alpha. I wouldn't want to deal with the dominance issues. JMO.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Seems like every alpha male or female in the two litters I have raised has became the best dogs. I had two females in the first that would just beat the crap out of each other and the rest except for the runt. The runt was a male that could hold his own and always seemed to get his fill of food. Never was he pushed around. The two females seem to have the best characteristics from what I have seen and heard. Most of the litter turned out really good, haven't heard from one person. But mine and a close friend's are real tough. The other female is also a hard hitting tough dog. The runt male from what I hear is real fast, tough in all areas of a rabbit dog.

The second litter I decided to keep the runt female. Throughout the whole process of raising them, there was a female that was huge. She was the alpha female of the bunch and would just beat up each dog of the litter without remorse. She was fat from day one and stayed big until I sold her. She is 7 1/2 months old and I believe she was started at 4 months old. The only reason I decided to sell her was because I thought the runt was smarter and she listened better.

I do have a method of figuring if a pup/u started dog will be overly competitive.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

I for the most part keep the runt if possible . From what I seen they R always tuff as nails , as they always have to fight for what they get . And inturn they have most always tunred out to be tuff in the field . Just my thoughts
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Newt

Post by Newt »

Picking the most dominant pup in the litter, IMO, has nothing to do with their ability in the field. There are no shortcuts, it takes time in the field.

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

I would like to think that if the parents and grand parents are solid hounds most of the pups should turn out similar to them. I dont think Jim means alpha in terms of it fighting ect but just growing faster and picking up things faster?
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

If im picking a pup out of a litter thats not mine...and the pups dont know me, i always pick the pup that doesnt come to me. I like to pick that pup because i feel that will be a loyal dog once a bond is established.

Now with my pups i will pick the first one that runs a hot dog scent. I pick on desire.
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I am referring to the alpha pup or pups(the type a personalities if you will..lol)....the most aggressive in the litter. You tend to see an alpha male and female. I see this in these pups. You also see the submissive pups....I have noticed this in all the litters I have had. Something I have thought of many times just never asked about it with a more experienced person.

I have read that the alpha pups tend to be harder to handle and more strong willed....this is pretty consistent in what I have read throughout other breeds of dogs as well. Just asking for any thoughts.

I am confident in the equality of there genetics...that is not the question.

S.R.Patch

Re: Picking the dominant pup(or alpha pup) in a litter??

Post by S.R.Patch »

I like to keep my hounds kenneled together, Alpha's are a pain in the butt. I hate dog fights, fighting over food, fighting in the dogbox. Hounds are always establishing a rank of order in their group and the alpha doesn't always have to be mean spirited but alot of times they are. When raising pups, leadership within the group may change 2 or 3 times as they grow.
If you've got a good natured alpha, it can be a asset to your pack, it is a leader and can keep order, but a ill natured alpha, it better be a heck of a rabbit dawg and have it's own kennel... just what my experience has been.
Alpha's do tend to be strong willed and can take alot, that's why you try to place that alpha pup with a person that also has that type nature, he will handle it and not let it get out of hand. jmho

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Thanks for the feedback!

k & m kennels

Post by k & m kennels »

This is a great topic thks guys. :check:

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

i cant say i look for the alpha. but i do look for the one who is not afraid to go off on its own. if i have six pups and five are hanging out together and one is off exploring thats the one im keeping.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Like Mr.Patch , Jim i dont like fighters at all...jmo
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

I pesonally favor the bad boy/bad girl pups. But I don't go just by that. My last litter I kept 2 females. one was the biggest & domonant. She turned out to be I think the best dog.Stubborn at times though. I have 3 out of this litter I'm raising & will send to a starting pen. They are 3 months old now. 2 females & 1 male. They all pick on each other at times. The male is the biggest but not always the most aggressive. Now he's the one that will wander off & hunt while the others are playin. :biggrin: The smallest female has a temperment most like her momma. :approve: It'll be interesting to see how they turn out.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10