Females stop eating and drinking after litter of pups

This forum is for those seeking medical advice or general beagle health information. Everyone is welcome to respond, but if you are a licensed veterinarian or other animal health professional, feel free to share your credentials!

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Aubrey Holcombe

Females stop eating and drinking after litter of pups

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

I been experiencing my young females stop eating and drinking after they have their litter of pups ?

Anyone have any tips what going on with this problems?

Thanks,
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

S.R.Patch

Re: Females stop eating and drinking after litter of pups

Post by S.R.Patch »

DR, a few of mine have to have goat milk over the kibble to start them eating again or it takes them a day or two. They all alittle different, some quit eating before whelping others eat until the hour of whelping and take right off again after whelping.
They lick up the fluids and eat the placentas of the pups during whelping so they get protein back from whelping, some get constipated and need the soft food and some exercise to get things moving again. To me, the main thing is the fluids, they need the fluids to maintain the milk flow.
I'll spoil them for a few days with scraps and goodies to bring back their appetite, then after their usually good to go.
One thing to watch for is a fever after whelping, if the hound don't eat or drink and has a fever she could have a dead pup or placenta that hasn't passed. This can cost you the litter and the hound.
In this hot weather watch for dehydration of the bitch. I'll make water gravy or give broth if I have to, to keep fluid in them. Boil a chicken for salads and retain the broth to pour over food.
Again, look for hounds that are low maintenance in all things.
Good luck with your puppies.

Aubrey Holcombe

Mr.patch Thanks for the come pack, I know that you have seen this in these females, but this is a young , first time litter, and she was eating like a hog in fact I had to keep her limited as I never want to over feed them when they breed.

I took her to the vet, they gave me some med. but she has stop drinking ? It's been a week today and she still not drinking ?

I started to giving her Gator Aid, with a syringe yesterday, got 30 cc in her and today will keep that up may have to take her back to the Vet.

D.R.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Aubrey Holcombe

After one week of giving my female medication and TLC, she began eating some Chicken Fingers,drinking Goat Milk. I have only one Red female pup but she is nice and fat and if she turn out like her off spring she will be a keeper, for sure..

Thanks again Mr Patch,, you Top Shelf and always a good friend when in need, for advise.

Keep looking Up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

D.R: that's normal for a few days. They go through alot delivering pups and eating all the afterbirth and stuff, so they can turn off feed for a few days. Just watch them. Keep FRESH feed out (if they don't eat for a few hours, remove it and bring out fresh later). Make sure there's no fever or anything...if everything seems fine, your female will regain her appetite as the pups nurse. The afterbirth they consume is high in protein (I know it's gross...but it is what is is lol). Place a bowl of water that you can monitor how much water is being consumed (sometimes it's hard to tell when it's in a big bucket).

Keep us posted - congrats on the pups!

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY
www.OKIEDOGSUPPLY.com

Aubrey Holcombe

Oakey:
Yes she finally got back to eating and drinking and the pup is doing fine, now !
thanks for the information.
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

Hey Aubrey!!!

That's pretty normal...for a short period. I've got one female who will eat while giving birth..and another that won't eat for 72 hours after delivering. This is gross...so if you have a weak stomach don't read any further....

If the female eats the afterbirth/placenta, it's packed with nutrients and protein. It's meant to help restore the effects of the birthing process. So, it's ok if she goes a couple days without eating...hormone levels can effect taste and the afterbirth eating can make a female feel full.

Watch for fever or lethargy or a turn in the color of the milk. If any of that happens, get to a vet - she may have retained a placenta or a pup.

Keep up posted....and congrats on the new litter!

Mike Franklin
OKIE DOG SUPPLY