Tale of Two Summers

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

Tale of Two Summers

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Just thinking about how different the summers of 2016 and 2017 have been---especially when it comes to running the beagles.
Last summer we were in what all were referring to as a drought here in east Tn. We had gone many weeks without a touch of rain, the temps. were staying in the mid to high 90's for weeks, the woods were super dry and my lawn was like walking on potato chips it crunched so much.
Running the beagles was a test of patience. They could jump alright but most outings during those conditions it was not pretty as they struggled to put a good circle on the rabbit.
Now here we are this year and it feels like it hasn't quit raining since April. A very wet spring has been followed by a very wet summer. It's rained here for the past four days and calling for more over the next several days. Been having to mow my lawn every 5-6 days and even then the grass is so thick and filled with moisture it just clumps up coming off the mower and I have to rake it all up.
Temps haven't been too bad with most days in the 80's but the humidity has been brutal! I'd rather have the heat than the steam bath we've had. One good thing has been that the scenting conditions have been super and when I've gotten out early the beagles have flat burned em up and given me some of the best summer running ever.
Rabbit population seems to be excellent around here so would have to say the weather has been alright for the rabbits raising their litters.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Rabbithoundjb

Re: Tale of Two Summers

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Man you're making me jealous, June and July have been hot here. I might have run a couple of times in early June and once the last Sunday of July. Maybe some in August but September is right around the corner.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Rabbithoundjb wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 am
Man you're making me jealous, June and July have been hot here. I might have run a couple of times in early June and once the last Sunday of July. Maybe some in August but September is right around the corner.
He's good at making people jealous!!! While I slave away in the salt mines he texts me play by play messages of how good the running is in the cool of the early morning! Just plain brutal and unusual torture to treat the every day working class guy that way!! :twisted: :twisted:

Just kidding. I'm very happy for him that he has had a few good years in retirement to finally enjoy somewhat uninhibited opportunity to run the dogs when he wants. :D Hoping I can do the same in a few years.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Play by play, now that is brutal but hey one day hopefully we will be retired and we can do that to our buddies, lol.

Shady Grove Beagles

Hey James
Don't feel too bad for Harechaser. He posts me and tells me he's out running and has had a hare going for 2 hours straight and the temp. is 51 degrees in New Hampshire. I'm picking mine up at 10:00 A.M. as it's already 80 degrees and I'm melting !
Course he'll also post me in January and tell me he's out running and it's 0 degrees [ or below ] and I'll be enjoying a mid winter hunt in the 40's. LOL.
Come on Fall !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Hello, you poor boy at the Salt Mine, just better look out next thing you know you all will be Getting to these "Golden Days" !!

Yes Sir when I retired from J & J Baby Products Co. they said "D.R" you going to them Days. Well I just turn 77 in June and Yet to see any Golden Days ?
Man the time will fly on by once you get to these days, next thing, you know you can't walk and keep up with the :dance: Pack, so save your Green Stamps as these Kubota RTV 900 4x4 sure cost a lots on that S.S. check, but I couldn't get about without my Kubota.

I sure don't see any Golden Day, maybe I have not got there yet ?

Keep Looking up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Dan is looking good Dana. I think he is built like his mama. He has big mouth, listens really good. It sure didn't take long for him to learn his name, seems to be really smart. I been messing with some in the yard. When I start back running he will get to ride.

Shady Grove Beagles

Hey James
Glad to hear that the pup is doing good. My female litter mate [ Queenie ] is full of it. Have taken her out a couple of times with the big dogs just to get her used to riding in the box, being in the woods and being with the pack.
She doesn't hang with me,she goes where ever the other dogs go and stays with them.If they get to driving too hard she'll come back around me and go to hunting on her own. Don't think she's figured out what all is going on yet but once she does I'll start putting some solo time on her.
Friend of mine over in Dunlap,Tn. has one of the blue male pups and sent me a pic last night. Good looking pup and he thinks he'll be around 14 1/2--15". My female is already 14" at 6 months.Up on legs and a very athletic looking build.
Post a pic of that Dan pup if you get a chance.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

I think Dan is going to be a 15" dog. I had some out in the yard Saturday to go get rabies shots and where they went he went so I think he too will likely go on with his buddies in the bush, as soon as it cools a little over here I will find out.

warddog

Post by warddog »

It hasn't only been the summer but the spring here was one of those that took me forever to even get my garden planted. I had plants in my little greenhouse that were already blooming before I could get them in the ground. Finally got one good day and spent ALL of it getting the garden planted. THEN was cutting up a 60 foot tree that had been uprooted for over a year and was hung up in another tree come down to the ground where I could cut on it. Had a 10 foot long, 8 inch diameter tree limb fall from about 15 feet above me from the tree it was hung up on and hit me on my left shoulder. Knocked me out momentarily and to the ground. After going through ALL the hoops of x-rays, CT scan and finally an orthopedic surgeon that ordered an MRI did they find I had a completely ruptured rotator cuff. After two months of the pain and not being able to do much if anything with my left arm I am having surgery August 17. I guess my entire hunting season will be shot as the surgeon says it may take up to a year to fully heal. 6 weeks in a sling, three months physical therapy and then go from there as to what happens next. By the way my garden went to crap as the weeds took it over because I couldn't till it after I got it planted. What a wasted summer and I'm afraid it ain't over yet!

Shady Grove Beagles

Hate that for you warddog ! Will pray for your speedy recovery.You may not be able to shoulder a shotgun for awhile but maybe you can still get them out to run.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Its been dry here in Hamblen County. For the last six weeks I suspect that we hardly received a 1/2 inch of rain. Then last week it rained almost every day, total of about 4 or 5 inches. Now its like the weather where I grew up, in Louisiana. Pop up showers throughout the day and humidity so high that you will be drenched just sitting under a shade tree. I went out yesterday and ran three big races. At about 10:00 the sun popped out and I called it a day. I plan to go in the morning, they are predicting a heavy for so it should be nice running until the fog lifts.