Garmin Bundle

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Slaux

Garmin Bundle

Post by Slaux »

Looking for opinions on the best modern technology out there. My Johnson's Telemetry system is biting the dust - finally (been a good system). I've been waiting to get the most modern technology out there and it seems the time is now. The Garmin TT 100 Bundle seems to "the best system" right now? Is that so, or there other of equal or better quality? I see the TT collar has a 9 mile range, where as the TT Mini is 4 miles. Is there that much difference in the size of the collars? Is the TT too big for a 13" beagle or would the mini be better? Opinions please...thanks.

mybeagles

Re: Garmin Bundle

Post by mybeagles »

Steve,

I have had the mini collars for a couple years now and I don't notice much difference In range. I am sure there is a little bit of difference but the mini collars fit 13 inch dogs much better.

The only time I've ever lost connection with the mini was on a coon dog that took off game and was seven or 8 miles away. Overall I'm very satisfied with the Garmin and I think you would be to.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I too used Johnsons Telemetry for many years. Two years ago I decided it was time to switch and I'm so glad I did.
I went with the Alpha and the tt15 mini's and to date have never had a problem . Even on Drummond Island running hare, the range is never an issue.
I'm sure you will be happy with the system.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

There is 0 notable difference in range from the 15 and its mini counterpart. The 15 regular one beat my dogs legs to shreds.

And the alpha is the best available one on the market but Garmin is due for either a new collar or system in the next 9 months IMO if rumors are true.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

steve w

Post by steve w »

The Alpha and mini is the best thing going right now as far as I'm concerned, I doubt you'll regret buying. Here's a link to a video that explains it all pretty well, scroll down to find it. http://www.dusupply.com/garmin-alpha-10 ... combo.html

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:04 pm
There is 0 notable difference in range from the 15 and its mini counterpart.
That may be true in your area and I'm guessing you don't have much that would classify as mountains compared to many of us.

Here in Northeastern New England you will quickly find out there is a difference between the (2). That being said, I've had very little issue with my mini's. I would advise anyone purchasing the Alpha system for the 1st time to buy the extended range antennas available for the Alpha hand held receiver. You may not use it much but what a confidence it is when you've got a dog that has gone out of range and you change out the antenna and have them back in reception again. Especially if they go out on trash!

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Hare Chaser wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:10 am
Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:04 pm
There is 0 notable difference in range from the 15 and its mini counterpart.
That may be true in your area and I'm guessing you don't have much that would classify as mountains compared to many of us.

Here in Northeastern New England you will quickly find out there is a difference between the (2). That being said, I've had very little issue with my mini's. I would advise anyone purchasing the Alpha system for the 1st time to buy the extended range antennas available for the Alpha hand held receiver. You may not use it much but what a confidence it is when you've got a dog that has gone out of range and you change out the antenna and have them back in reception again. Especially if they go out on trash!
Here is the Dusupply review

RANGE: (Distance tests)

Garmin is marketing the MIni collars with a 4 mile effective tracking distance compared to 9 miles for the full size TT15 and T5 collar. Initially we expected the new Mini GPS collars to have less tracking distance. However, while testing these collars extensively in the field we can honestly say that we have seen little difference between the new Mini GPS collars and the standard sized TT15 GPS tracking collar when it comes to tracking distance or dependability. At Double U Hunting Supply we have a test track that we run all new GPS collars through for comparison. With the Mini Collars we are seeing a 2.8 miles in hilly, brushy country using a long range antenna on the handheld. We have seen this distance consistently with the full size TT15 collars. We are extremely confident these Mini collars are performing as well as the full size collars regarding the effective distance.

Why does Garmin claim 4 miles? We don't exactly know, perhaps Garmin is changing the way they market the effective distance to a more "expected" distance rather than marketing a "best case" distance. Any hunter who has spent time behind these GPS collars understands 9 miles is not a distance that is easily achieved in the real world. However 4 miles with any of the Garmin tracking systems is more achievable. My professional opinion is that Garmin is hoping their customers will expect a much more "real world" tracking range. At this point in time I'm more comfortable stating that Garmin continues to lead the way in GPS tracking systems.

Here is the Dusupply review and i have tested both collars in some pretty hilly country at the same time in vehicles/up and down huge ravines and over hills and things and never once have I had a measurable difference when I had the full-size collar. Maybe in different areas different sattelites are more or less in range but I can't tell a diff.

Can anyone show me track logs showing a big difference (more than say 30 yards)
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

beagler86

Post by beagler86 »

I have both minis and recently picked up some older tt-10s. They all work good and I cant see a difference in them. I have always wondered maybe the because the minis are really a trashbreaker collar with gps that's why the say 4 mile range? Any way they all work good, I run the full size collars on 14 and 15 inch dogs, while the minis go on my smaller ones.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

I went with this system, Astro 100 and TT15 mini's. It came in on Friday. I played with it over the weekend. Lots to learn on it yet, but basically pretty straight forward. The training features are really nice. What I don't like is the most important feature. I can't get more than a mile coverage before I lose GPS connection. I was lucky once and got 1.5 miles, but usually it's .9. Is this normal? It says 4-9 miles. I'd be thrilled with 4 miles, but it doesn't look like it'll come close to that. Of course it tells you where your dog last was when you lose connection, but that doesn't do much good if he's going in the opposite direction. What kind of range are you guys getting? I haven't tried the bigger antenna, but unless I'm wrong that is just for VHF and not the GPS...

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I don't know how things are today but some yrs ago, another big issue was battery life. The batteries were only good for hours, not days. There were guys in the UP looking for hounds that were getting no signal the next day.
I've stuck with the old ways, the hound should come find me or track back to the casting area and bed down... Good luck with your investment.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

It's normal if you are only using the short antenna that comes on the Astro 100. The 18" one will get you a little more distance depending on your terrain. Where I live the mountains and hills cut down the distance. If you want to get the max. distance you need to have the collapsible antenna with the coax cable and with that, max. range will be dependent on terrain.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

One other question. The unit comes with the one year free "Birdseye" subscription. I've done everything imaginable to get it to download and it won't work. After I go thru all the prompts I get a message stating I don't have a compatible device plugged in, (I do). Called the company, they were no help. Suggestions?

steve w

Post by steve w »

Try reading and looking thru this http://www.dusupply.com/info/howto-inst ... astro-320/ personally I hated downloading and installing birdseye, :angryfire: but I won't do without it. It's worth the money to buy a Huntview or OnX card, I use Huntview right now but I just did put Onx on my phone and it's impressive. Good thing about these is you just plug in a micro sd card and it's done, the whole state. As far as range like others say with a short antenna a mile or so is normal, if you got your yagi you might be able to use that with an adapter and cable. I keep a magnetic mount antenna that I had for my old Johnson in the truck, every once in awhile I have to use it, not often though.

steve w

Post by steve w »

Here is a chart with ratings for the different antennas http://www.dusupply.com/dog-tracking/ga ... ennas.html and the map card I use http://www.dusupply.com/huntview-maps.html I don't want to say you are wrong but the satellite (GPS) communicates to the dog collar then the collar communicates to the handheld device by radio signal or vice versa when using the handheld for training, so the antenna plays a direct role in the effectiveness or range of tracking and training.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Thanks for the tips. I haven't tried the longer antenna, but I'm thinking that will solve the issue. I called Garmin and a lady walked me thru and I installed Birdseye. Honestly, it's not what I thought it was going to be. I assumed it would turn the topo on the hand held into birdseye, it didn't. Looks like you have to hook the unit up to the computer to use Birdseye? I'll have to play with it more and figure out how to use it, but for now it doesn't seem like the hours I spent struggling to download the Birdseye application was really worth it. Overall, happy with the system though.