HERE WE GO AGAIN

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JacksonBoys

HERE WE GO AGAIN

Post by JacksonBoys »

No big fancy cabin this year, but a quick get away. And it was awesome. For some of you that don't know us we have five sons that we are very proud of and they grow up very quick. Our first son Billy IV and our third son Cody couldn't make the trip this year due to work obligations. They had business meetings in Orlando. The rest of the Jackson Boys Corey, Jamey, and Chase had the opportunity to shoot to the UP for the weekend. It was a extra special weekend because we had nephew Cole in tow (like always). Cole this year was at a track meet and got smacked it the head with a flying disc and was lucky to survive. After several surgeries he was finally cleared and has made a pretty much full recovery. So it was real good to have him along. He has been with us up here on many trips over the years. It don't matter how many ribbons or trophies you win it is about the good clean fun you spend with the family and hounds. This year we had many young hounds getting their first taste of blood. We run for 2 1/2 days with the 2 lead dogs having over 45 miles put on them. Some of the young 1 year old hounds had over 30 miles on them. The wife and I never carry a gun. The kids do all the shooting. And when we go north they are ready to shoot. They only shoot on Thanksgiving day around here. Many hare were wounded and run down. They absolutely love to destroy a hare. Hard to get to them quick enough. (Time to get worming). We killed a total of 11 hare. Don't know if any of you guys ever seen this because we only do this once a year and have never run a hare down, but almost this time. We were standing with our 13 year old son Chase and he is itching for a shot. The pack was in full cry an not missing a beat. I'm telling him watch, get ready. And sure as crap here he comes. I say here he comes as he starts to bring his gun up I say Oh no no no don't shoot. Jack is nipping at his heels. Could literally hear his teeth clacking. Don't know how he didn't catch him. Never seen nothing like that on a hare. They run by us at 3 feet with him nipping at his heels. He had that hare pushed 100 yards before the rest of the pack come by. Either swung the right way or lifted his head. Don't know witch. We had a terrific time and one of these days we just may retire up there. Be careful of the bears and the wolves there are a bunch of both. Also want to say that we met a bunch of beaglers from all over. If any of you boys are down this way stop in and we will run them.Image1019172115c by William Jackson, on FlickrImage1508612524378 by William Jackson, on FlickrImage[url=https://flic.Image1021171516c by William Jackson, on Flickrkr/p/CCgwad]1021171503b[/url] by William Jackson, on Flickr
Jackson Boys Kennel and Starting Pen

PCH HBCH GRCH LPRCH and PKC $ winner Matt Dillon
HBCH GRCH Jacksons Jack on the Bone
FCGD PCH HBCH Jackson Boys Slick Willie (RIP Champ)
Bill's (614)965-2219

wildcatfan0309

Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

where was u?

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

Glad to see you guys had a great time and got some shooting in. I personally don't shoot at this time of year but I have NO problem with anyone does but the real test is 20 below on icey crust. How do your hounds hold Up?

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

Real nice post Jackson,im glad you shared pictures of the hunt, looked like a great time was enjoyed by all.

steve w

Post by steve w »

Enjoy it while you can, I remember when I had a group like yours they are in their 30's now and i miss those times.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

adirondackjoe
Really. I love to hunt but -20 below zero and icey crust??????? Remember a hero is just a sandwhich.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

JacksonBoys

Post by JacksonBoys »

adirondackjoe wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:35 pm
Glad to see you guys had a great time and got some shooting in. I personally don't shoot at this time of year but I have NO problem with anyone does but the real test is 20 below on icey crust. How do your hounds hold Up?
Not quite sure how they would hold up at 20 below. We wouldn't be hunting at 2o below. We do it for enjoyment not torture.

Bill's (614)965-2219

JacksonBoys

Post by JacksonBoys »

wildcatfan0309 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:51 am
where was u?
We were in the UP of Michigan. Lots of public hunting.

Bill's (614)965-2219

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

"We do it for enjoyment,not torture". Amen to that Jacksonboys!
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

Did I say 20 below??? I meant 40 above . Oops

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Guess the most important thing is that he's helping some young boys create some fond memories that they will have for a life time, enjoying being with them and enjoying some pretty nice young dogs he seems to be very pleased with.

Kudos to you Jackson Boys! Nice to see folks that have young men and dogs they enjoy being in the woods with! We need the next generation to carry on these long standing traditions.