Female just comes in to heat in the spring

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sbadger

Female just comes in to heat in the spring

Post by sbadger »

getting a female that just comes in to heat 1 a year any 1 else have a female like this
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

Tim G

Re: Female just comes in to heat in the spring

Post by Tim G »

Yes had several to only come in heat once a year

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Thanks I had never had one do that before

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Most would consider it a blessing.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

I agree with you

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I have had one to come in season only once a year.Had another that went 18 months before coming back in.Have two now that will go 7-8 months between heats.
Sometimes if you get them bred successfully they then will get on a regular 6 month cycle.
Also something to consider...... If you are running a female hard and often that can put off their heat cycle same as it does with high performance women athletes.Some women [marathoners for example ] often stop having their periods while competing at that level.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

I have a female here that came off of Branko's G-man and Kiger's Spot that I bought from Tom Newman in Grantsboro, NC that didn't come into heat until she was 18 months old. She just turned 2 so I am waiting to see how long before she cycles again. She is making a real nice dog.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Does age and not being bred before have any bearing on females coming into heat. I have two females that both just turned 8 years old and neither has been bred although I am trying to now. One swelled up a little and bled while the other one did nothing. I tried to have the one that showed signs of a heat cycle bred but she absolutely would not. Took her to the male 11 days after she started showing signs of coming in but she would not bred. Brought the male home for another week and nothing. Both of these females have always came in twice a year and the other one I did not try to breed swells up like a catchers glove so her heat is pretty obvious. The ot6her one never did swell up real big but enough to tell she was coming in heat. I am not a breeder but have bred some off and on through the years but this is the first I have had trouble with a female. I suspect if she got out and an ole cur was roaming the neighborhood she would have got bred with a dozen pups.

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

I have one that comes in anywhere between 7 months and 12 months. Talk about a nightmare when your trying to get to a certain stud to breed. I FINALLY caught her at 4 1/2 years old that fit into my schedule to get her to FCGD pine hills twizzler. The worst part of it is you simply cant plan as you are on "her" schedule!!
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady