The latest cross pups (TUG HILL SNOW HOUNDS}

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mike McPherson

The latest cross pups (TUG HILL SNOW HOUNDS}

Post by Mike McPherson »

Here is a little story just for sharing. I have breed raised hounds for 50 years. As of late I have bred and kept a pretty decent line of AKC registered beagles. Well I have a good friend that runs a beagle hound cross with a preference for blue tick hounds. He had a male beagle/blue tick cross. Best hare dog I have ever seen. 4" or 4' of snow, 40 above or 40 below always ran the same smooth and steady pretty much check free. Well like them all he aged and passed at the age of 13. My buddy has a few real good females out of him.
I felt bad for him loosing this male and new he did also. So I thought it would be nice to have a good male to breed one of these females to. hard to find a 18 to 20 inch hare hound so I thought I will make some. I made a lot of calls checked into some male hounds but was a little worried about breeding a 13" beagle to a hound. So I looked for a female hound to cross with my 15" male beagle. I located a bitch with a good nose and brains thru out the family tree. I bought her built a stool and made the cross. 8 pups were born May 20, 2017. 7 males and one female. I kept them all raised them and started them at 6 months of age, I thought they would start a little hard, hounds typically mature slower then beagles. Well they started fairly easy and caught my interest. I figured 7 of the 8 were going to at the very least be worth hunting, one was going to have to be a pet. We usually start running in the wild right after deer season, the weather here in late December was a little tough 30 below and a pile of snow. Things kinda of leveled out in January and we started hunting these pups. My buddy took two, another took 1 and I kept the other 4. I had not originally planned on keeping any for myself but they were doing well enough that they had sparked my interest. I had my favorite, Ox and the female lady. I ran them he ran his and the other buddy was running his. We were all pretty impressed they showed nose brains the ability to work a check. We ran together, we soloed them some and by the end of the season they at 10 months old were better then average, they are 18 to 20 inches the deep snow is not a problem. I messed with them a lot as pups and they handle very well. I sold one of the other males to a fellow that wanted to try him on cats, the other went to a good old boy that loves a cross hound. These pups would take a track left in the night and cold trail it and get the start. I had a lot of fun with them. I bet they will be even more fun next year. I will solo the 2 I have thru the summer they will mature and by gun season they will be a lot of fun.
Just a little story and a total out cross made for a friend that just happen to please us. TUG HILL SNOW HOUNDS
Hunt-Em-UP
Hunt-Em-Up Kennels

Newt

Re: The latest cross pups (TUG HILL SNOW HOUNDS}

Post by Newt »

Interesting story. Congratulations on your successful mating.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I had a very little half beagle, half fox terrier that I had purchased from a guy about 10 miles south of me. I had friends that had a dog from this guy t5hat I liked and they told me this guy made this cross many times and ALL the pups made rabbit dogs so I had to have one. The little female looked a lot like the coke bottle nose beagles we see a lot of these days and she was very thin boned and leggy for a under 13" dog. She would run the hair off of a rabbit and pretty quick for such a little dog. Would hunt all day, every day. My property used to have a renter that dumped a lot of trash over it as he was a metal salvager and had mine sink holes that he charged people to dump in. Needless to say I had to get the state, the DNR and the dept. of mine reclamation in here to look it over as I thought it was a health hazard It also had drawn rats that I had spent a lot of money buying poison to try to kill off. It was decided that the state and other agencies would clean the mess up and cover over the sink holes. After that the poisoning of the rats continued until they were eventually gone from where I noticed them. The little female got out of the kennel one day and I suspect she got into some rat poison because my cousin and I took her hunting one day and when we were done hunting all day she was bleeding from her rectum and had very pale gums. Other than that she did not appear to have a thing wrong with her and hunting exactly like she always had. When I got up to take her to the vet the next day she was dead. I wish I had several more like her and I would never own a registered beagle again. it is another example of man and his science not being able to compete with mother nature. Man could fault these dogs for color or markings, build, shorter ears, thin bone structure but when it came to being a rabbit dog not many faults with them. if the guy still had this line I would still have them too. Sometimes a cross just clicks and when it does time after time with nearly all the offspring being average or better that is remarkable. Good luck with your cross and if these pups pan out it will be interesting to see if it works again because I'm pretty sure you shall try it to see.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Amazing absolutely Amazing, both stories, don't think I can beat either one of them, so I will just keep breeding my My Mutt' s to my Mutt's ~~> :idea:

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :?:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

warddog

Post by warddog »

I think you already have beat both of them daddy Rabbit as what you have been doing has clicked for a lifetime not just one cross! For some, making a cross that clicks, is a lucky guess or a mistake that happened to work but for those who make them for years, it isn't luck anymore, it's knowledge through experience. The ole boy that had this terrier and beagle that clicked, only clicked with those two. When one of the two died it was over as none of the offspring never clicked as I ever heard of.