people you can trust

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bunnytracks

people you can trust

Post by bunnytracks »

I know that they have bought dogs from different sources my question is who would you trust to sell you an excellent hound? no pun intended

Hare Chaser

Re: people you can trust

Post by Hare Chaser »

Depends........who do you know well enough that would sell you an "excellent dog" knowing what It is you like and expect in an excellent dog?

One persons definition of an "excellent" dog and yours might be 2 different things. I don't need more than one hand to count the number of people who I would buy a finished dog from simply on their word that the dog would be what I like in a rabbit/hare hound.

Newt

Post by Newt »

If you are going to buy a dog, start as close to home as possible. If you know what you like, look around at beagles in your area. Salesmen make a living making the average sound like a champion.
A few years ago a friend told me about a beagler that had some young started hounds for sale similar in breeding to mine. I had another friend who was wanting another beagle. We drove four hours and as soon as we got out of the truck and shook hounds with the seller, he grabbed his book of pedigrees and proceeded on his sales pitch. We told him we want to see them in the field. He told us his running ground was seventeen miles away, there were few rabbits around due to hawks, owls, and coyotes. Ok, lets see. We drove over and he turned loose the three or four young dogs and we walked across a field with good habitat. The dogs acted as if they had never seen or smelled a rabbit. So he turned loose an old beagle that got a rabbit up immediately. The old dog, Dingus bred, did an excellent job circling the rabbit with few checks. The young dogs showed no interest at all. Then the seller proceeded to tell us that he was embarrassed, the dogs were at his old dads place and he had no idea.

Ten years ago a young man showed up here and told me he was looking for a beagle. One of his friends had told him that I raised beagles. I told him I have some six month old pups that I would sell. He asked, can she circle a rabbit? I said yes. He said how much you want for her. $200.00, take her with you and when you decide, bring me the money or the dog. About a week later he called and asked, would you take $150. I said No! He said OK I'll bring you your money. We have been friends ever since. He told me later, I knew that pup couldn't circle a rabbit, so I took her out with my buddy who had some grade beagles that were faster than her, but when they got tired and quit, she was still running. He said, I told her, Honey you just found your self a new home. That little bitch died a few weeks back that's how I know its been ten years..

So if you use the correct search close to home, you may be as fortunate as my friend Tony.

steve w

Post by steve w »

Nine years next May ago I was looking to go a different direction with my dogs, my line of dogs that served me well had got old and I had no way to replace them. I tried dealing with a well known guy with out much luck, then I noticed an add on this site from a guy not to far from me who had pups from pretty close to the same breeding saying he would show both parents in the field and the price was fair.I went and seen the pups and they looked good, as did the sire and darn. When I asked about seeing them run he didn't hesitate and loaded them up and headed for some state land by his place, he cut the dogs loose among mushroom hunters and target shooters as there was a range right by the parking lot, it didn't take long and the sire and darn jumped a rabbit and I did my best to see what I could. They ran a good race, clean and quick just like the add said and in fact everything the guy said them to dogs pretty much did. Needless to say I came home with two pups. About 4 years later I noticed he had another add, the sister to the ones I got was bred to a pretty decent stud he had so again I made the trip down and again came back with a couple pups. Then two years ago in January he called me up and asked about breeding to the first male I got from him and I figured why not. When the pups came he was pretty excited on the way they looked and the cross in general, I didn't really need another pup but I took one anyway, again I was glad I did.So glad when I found out he still had one left 6 mos. later I bought him too. So now I have a Father two uncles and a brother and sister that can get it done just the way I like and the way he claimed from the beginning.I guess you can say I trust the Frenchman, Don Le Count.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Steve that, IMO, is how to be build a line of beagles. I met another local guy who hunts, likes the same type dog as me, and keeps all males. If I have a good male that I like, I call him and let him try him. I f he likes the dog, then I have another stud in the neighborhood to use later.
Its a wonderful hobby for an old man. :)

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Several really good pups get sold every year. MOST of the buyers don't put enough time into a pup to give it a chance to be good. Most get dumped in a kennel, pulled out at 6 months and taken to a starting pen, dumped back in the kennel and brought back out the first day of hunting season and it doesn't perform very well. Was the breeder trust worthy or was the buyer an idiot?
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Pretty true statement mybeagles.
Had a running buddy some years ago that just HAD to get a pair of pups from Branko.Thought if he got pups from Branko he'd have the BEST.
Paid $350.00 a piece for the pups and another $300.00 for air shipping =$1,000.00.
He already had about 6-8 other beagles and let those pups sit in their kennel for the next year without doing much with them.
When he got around to fooling with them it consisted of turning them out to hunt on their own and unsupervised.They could run a decent rabbit but got to be pretty trashy to boot along the way.
He got disgusted with them and sold them both.One ended up making Little Pack Rabbit Champion and the other once he got cleaned up made a Grand Rabbit Champion and when bred to produced some really nice hounds.
He'd been sold a pair of nice,well bred pups and had squandered them.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

mybeagles wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:34 pm
Several really good pups get sold every year. MOST of the buyers don't put enough time into a pup to give it a chance to be good. Most get dumped in a kennel, pulled out at 6 months and taken to a starting pen, dumped back in the kennel and brought back out the first day of hunting season and it doesn't perform very well. Was the breeder trust worthy or was the buyer an idiot?
Spot on Dave, I know the type.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Dana, I have heard that same story time and time again. Doesn't matter if it's Branko's, Wier Creeks or just some ole grade dogs from a respected local hunter with a name for raising quality pups, none will amount to much without the time, patience and work put into them. On a side note, I want to publically thank you for selling me Dan, he is making quite a nice dog for me.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Thank You James.I'm extremely happy that he has made the type of hound you were hoping for when you got him as a pup and that I was hoping for when I made that cross.
I'm pretty pleased with his sister and have seen and heard some good reports on the rest of the litter.
I know you have put the ground time in with him as you do with all your hounds and appreciate that you keep in touch and let me know how he's turning out.As the breeder of a litter I ALWAYS want to know how they turn out and what they're showing.
Would love to see him go someday.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

bunnytracks wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:52 pm
I know that they have bought dogs from different sources my question is who would you trust to sell you an excellent hound? no pun intended
I don't know who sells an excellent hound this time of year, probably a fellow who has to many hounds and pups coming on. Somebody who kept a whole litter and raised them where there's little to separate their talents as being above average and no disqualification from last seasons gunning, a problem we all wish for. A fellow who's raised at least three generations of the cross and can show a preponderance of the breeding throughout his kennel. I like to see a fellow practicing faith in what he's selling.
A fellow who will try to tell you more than you want to know because when you succeed, he succeeds.... I made a pot of vegetable soup tonight for supper. I grew all the ingredients and blended them to taste. Nothin beats homemade cookin an my wife said so, that made me proud....lol

bear128

Post by bear128 »

I know I don't have time for two packs and thats why I'm selling two nice young dogs right now

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

bear128, I have a problem with a young fellow from your State ?

Are you the same bear128 that is on, the new Web sight "The Beagle Hound" out of Ak.?

If so Please let me know, as I would like to P.M. you about my Problem

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Rabbit Town, USA :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Aubrey Holcombe

P.M. sent to you today bear128 thanks a bunch !!

~D.R.==~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<>> :bash:

Aubrey Holcombe

This clown, up in Maryland that looks like done beat me, out Of a very nice little young female, gun dog is the biggest, most Dos-honest person I ever dealt with?

He would take all the Blue Ribbons .

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>