Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Aubrey Holcombe

Re: Run to catch

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

My Blue Tick Pup, Officially Name, "D.R.& D.R. Spitfire" has never ran a rabbit in the Rain ? Yes that pup started running in the heat and dust here in my back-back Yard. it's an enclosure that my Grandson's, help me build a number of years, has a lots of big oak trees, built on the top of a high hill, very thick briers, honey suckle, and all natural vegetation, stock with Georgia cotton tails.

Finally this morning it's cool here and overcast looks like it may rain? Hope this don't scare my buddy to bad, so for, I never seen anything that he is Scared. I been running him a lots with my best Stud male "All Day" they compliment each other mighty well.

Thanks again Shady Grove for that little runt, he is now about 14" tall and three (3)'' wide, nice trim with small front legs and feet, can run all day!

Keep Looking Up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

warddog

Post by warddog »

Sure would love to see some pics of that little runt D.R.

Aubrey Holcombe

Mr. Wartdog:

one of these days, I will try and get someone to take a
Photo of this pup., he was born 3-10-19 little fellow was running with an old female that I have 9 years old and very small little female good jump dog, i put "Spit" in the running pen with her when he was 4 months old he was running whiten a weeks, time now he is running with my very best stud dog, and he is 7 months old in a few days, he is running like he is 5 years old. You wouldn't believe, he is that young.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Newt

Post by Newt »

Beagle Huntsman wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:56 pm
Dana, My hat is off to you and your hounds or any hounds who can catch under these conditions. Scenting just cannot be very good. I generally find rabbits don’t run well in October, so I have trouble getting them to stay up for a long run.

But you have found the secret to a great pack....all hounds working together, sharing responsibility for checks, taking turns leading in the drives, thinking and acting as one. When hounds in the pack are all related, it is easier to get that.

I have heard formal pack people talk about a great pack the Nantucket-Treweryn had in the 1960s that was made up of all littermates from two of the same crosses.

Dana, the bloodline you run is known to be an agressive one. What would happen if you added more hounds, say 8-10 more? Would they catch even more?
I agree! Dogs that can account for their game, in the conditions in East Tennessee, are not "Internet hounds". They are the real deal.
Congratulations Dana.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Beagle Huntsman
You'll notice in my previous post that I did mention that the dogs had their struggles on several rabbits. Don't ever want to give the impression that I have super dogs that never struggle in certain conditions-- they do.
But you hit the nail on the head when you listed the qualifications for having a great pack.......all hounds working together,all dogs working the checks,different pack members running the front and controlling the pack..You can't "cover them with a blanket" when they are running as they aren't that type of hound but they do run together and feed off each other very well.
My oldest dog Tess at 7 1/2 is mother to my 4 year old Fly and my 2 1/2 year old Queen and 6 year old Josie's is a half sister to Queen's sire.I'm a line breeder as I believe it gives me consistency in performance / traits and I think that accounts for my 4 running so well together and that leads to more running to catch success.
You mentioned that the bloodline I run is known to be an "aggressive one". I guess that would have to be assessed by what you are comparing them to.Compared to the U.B.G.F. beagles than I guess you'd say they are quite a bit more aggressive in their hunt,working a check,drive,foot.
From what I've seen at the couple of Large Pack on Hare trials I've been to in the past 10 years I'd say they are not as "aggressive" as the hounds I saw running.
I've line bred the Blue Ninja blood now for 24 years.About 8-9 years ago I was at Jessamine County's "Super Bowl" of beagling trial in Kentucky and visiting with 4-5 guys who are a "who's who" in Mid-West trialing. A comment that was made was "we never liked Ninja that well down here cause he didn't have enough foot,didn't hit hard enough". I didn't know what to say to that. I watched Ninja and his littermate sisters run several times at LPH trials and would say they were by no means "wind splitters" but I think most folks would say they were "run to catch" type of hounds. They certainly had what it took to become International Field Champs,Field Champs,Can-Am winners,Large Pack Nationals winners,etc.
They seem to be just right for me.I don't know what would happen if you threw another dozen dogs in the pack.Probably be a major cluster..........?
Thanks Newt for the kind comments.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Aubrey Holcombe

No rain here at Rabbit Town, USA ?
Yes the Hot days are slowly going away, been in the 70's this week over cast but No Rain, here in my part of Ga. going on about a month and half with any rain, whatsoever. Don't think I ever seen this kind of weather, in my lifetime..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Shady Grove Beagles

Still no rain here.Been 45 days since we had rain and it's also been a stretch of days in the 90's day after day. No dew on the ground in the mornings. You can tell the folks who live out in the country on a gravel road as their cars are covered in dust.
Needless to say the running hasn't been the best.
Decided to run my 2 1/2 year old Queenie solo yesterday morning.Queenie has proven to be a pretty quick/footy hound that often can take the front and hold it with her kennel mates.
I read on these boards where guys talk about their hounds running when it's below zero on crusty snow or running when it's 90 down a dusty gravel road.
I used to run dogs in those conditions but now being retired I don't have to as I can pick the days I want to run.Consequently,I don't necessarily get to see how my dogs perform in "extreme" conditions.
I was VERY pleased yesterday as I watched Queen jump a rabbit and basically walk it out over the next hour keeping the track circling.Checks were long and she seldom could break in to a trot but she showed great patience and if I'd been hunting could have accounted for that rabbit several times.
This was an eye opener for me as I hadn't had her out solo in these conditions and I was impressed that she could gear it way down and make a "run" out of it.
Reminded me of the discussion I had on this board one time with a fellow who insisted that "fast" dogs couldn't run a cotton tail consistantly.
Like my good friend Jonah Staten says " Walk em when you have to and catch em when you can".
Praying for some rain and cool weather.

Aubrey Holcombe

Georgia, cool weather been nice all week, but back up to the 80's a few days mid day.

No rain, "Spit'' starting to Play with the other pups, as I took All Day, back to the big kennels.

This To Shall Pass!
D.R~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:

Newt

Post by Newt »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:27 am

I was VERY pleased yesterday as I watched Queen jump a rabbit and basically walk it out over the next hour keeping the track circling.Checks were long and she seldom could break in to a trot but she showed great patience and if I'd been hunting could have accounted for that rabbit several times.
This was an eye opener for me as I hadn't had her out solo in these conditions and I was impressed that she could gear it way down and make a "run" out of it.
Reminded me of the discussion I had on this board one time with a fellow who insisted that "fast" dogs couldn't run a cotton tail consistantly.
Like my good friend Jonah Staten says " Walk em when you have to and catch em when you can".
Praying for some rain and cool weather.
That is a true Field Champion, IMO. In an organized trial setting, a champion only has to outperform the other hounds. Queen had the ability to outperform the cottontail. That is what its about.

Shady Grove Beagles

Well I'm feeling pretty thankful.We've had some rain here finally and mornings have been in the 40's range with even a couple of light frosts on my truck windshield. Surprise,we even been getting some dew on the ground! This has definitely improved the running !
Most times I take all 4 of my dogs running as I like to hear the pack in pursuit. Some times I'll take my youngest female Queen out soloing. I'm not a big fan of running just one dog but it gives me the opportunity to really see what's what.
Lately I've been bracing them and switching around the combinations to see the pluses and minuses.
Today was Josie and Fly's time to shine and they sure did !
Two nice females working the check right.Bloody tails and all.
Attachments
DSCN0472 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN0472 (600 x 450).jpg (140.94 KiB) Viewed 5466 times

Aubrey Holcombe

Hello:

Is that Blue Tick, the mother to my pup "Spit" good looking pr. of Females.

i have taken the my Pup back down to the Big Kennels on the creek, he don' t like it one bit, either.

I have young pups in the starting pens, after the rain and cool weather, got five of them started this week, deer season open here with big riles this week, so i have to make sure none of my hounds get out of the kennels..

d.r.\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Shady Grove Beagles

Hey Daddy Rabbit.
Good to hear from you.Sounds as if you are pretty well recovered from your surgery.
Yes,the blue female is my Josie dog and she is the mother to your Spitfire pup.She's a VERY nice dog and can really drive a rabbit with accuracy.She's a grand daughter on her sire's side of I.F.C. Greenwells Reggie and a grand daughter on her dam's side of I.F.C. Beaver Creek's Blue Max.I'm a believer in line breeding and this combo worked well.
The tri color is my Fly female and she also is a pretty nice hound.These two females at 4 and 6 years old are in their prime and can really spoil a fellow.

Aubrey Holcombe

Yep, I hear you, bossman my pup, looks a lost like that female, them kind will make you Proud !!

I have "Spit '' back down in the big kennels with my Gun Dogs. going to be running him with a pack some in a few more days, he is a Pleasure to have and from what I been seeing, think he has a Drivers Licenses, he might be my Driving the Buss, this coming season !!

Take care my Friend, and the Surgery went well, thanks for the Prayers .

.D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I've come to expect my post to be removed like the others, but I still like to comment once in a while with the 5 or 6 posters left on the discussion board.

Aubrey, it will be interesting to see how the young hound reacts to much improved scent, I think this is where levelheadedness and intelligence will show through. We took a young hound up to run hare after he'd become proficient on cottontail. The scent was good, the hare ran big and he loved it. After that, the owner never could get him back to the same form he was before on cottontail. He'd turned into a fast action hound, that couldn't or wouldn't use intelligent method to readjust for the twisting cottontail. He became spoilt and couldn't recover.
Interested to hear how your new Engine pulls the train...
Happy Hunting,,, :dance:

Aubrey Holcombe

Mr. Patch:

I will keep you Posted, on the New Engine (Spit} once I can get Him on a Swampers, and they are not rabbits, but brown Hare's, with big body's small Black feet, and take to the swamp beaver ponds, swimming like beavers, hounds have to be good at running in the water, I don' t foresee, the pup having any problems once he get the chance to run the Swamps.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check: